Sample Rate and Buffer Size Issue

Hi All,

I’ve recently been creating a mixer in the global rack space to help route my outputs on my Nord Stage 4 on a per-song basis. Currently, I have my NS4 going into a MOTU Ultralite mk5 which is connected to my Macbook Pro via USB C. In GP, I have those inputs routed into a Gain and Balance widget and directly into the output of the Ultralite. When I play my NS4 it sounds excellent initially, but distortion, clicks, and pops will slowly start to come in over a period of 10 minutes until the sound is completely inaudible and delayed. I would assume that this is a sample rate and buffer size issue, but I have tried several different combinations without any success. I hope this is a simple oversight on my part and I would be grateful for any insight.

MacBook Pro (2021)
Apple M1 Max running Monterey 12.2.1
32 GB Ram
1 TB hard drive

Usually that is a symptom of wordclock drift. Any chance you’re actually using an aggregate audio device, in other words is there another audio interface in use as well as the ultralite?

A different possibility is mixing native and Rosetta, e.g. you’re running GP natively but some of your plugins or drivers are running under Rosetta.

Is this a new issue or has this been happening always?

1 Like

Yes, I am using an aggregate audio device. I’ve got two Ultralite mk5s running together. Any way to fix the wordclock drift?

There’s a tick box in the Aggregate Device options (Audio MIDI Setup app).

Enable drift correction

If the devices in your aggregate device aren’t synchronised using hardware, you need to enable drift correction, also known as resampling, to compensate for drift in the data between devices.

1. In the Audio MIDI Setup app on your Mac, select the aggregate device in the list.
  2. Choose your aggregate device settings.
  • If all of the devices in the aggregate device aren’t synchronised through hardware, click the Clock Source pop-up menu, then choose the device with the most reliable clock. Select the Drift Correction tick box for each device.
2 Likes

Thanks, guys! I had drift correction checked on only one of the units. Everything seems to be working great now. Thanks for all that you do!

Slade

1 Like