Running DMXis midi files in Gig performer 4

Hi,

I have been running my backing tracks along side midi files (In Protools) that output to the dmxis software to play a dmx light show in sync with the backing tracks.

I recently purchased GP3 to start running backing tracks (stereo file in audio player) as well as some vst’s on out 2 vocal mics, mainly to make it easier to switch between songs in a live situation (foot pedal) and make setlist changes before gigs.

I’m wondering that if I upgrade to GP4 that has a midi player. Could I have the audio player run the backing tracks alongside the midi player playing the midi file and triggering the DMXis software so that they are in sync? Many of our songs have tempo changes so I’m guessing that I’d have to edit the midi files so they are at a consistent bpm eg. 120bpm. Would this be the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Hi @nwarren, welcome to the family.

Yes triggering from the MIDI File Player should be possible.
And you can set the tempo in the MIDI File Player, so it stays at 120 BPM for example.

Hi pianopaul, Thanks for helping me out! Do you think there would be any chance that the backing tracks and the midi file would gradually drift out of sync with each other? I’m just wondering if I export a midi file that I played/edited at 120bpm against the backing track audio file in Protools, would it play exactly the same against the backing tracks at 120bpm in GP4?

Thanks,

Nick

I did not face a drift when the backing track is rendered at 120 BPM and the MIDI File is 120 BPM

I am working with Ableton Live and use LINK, perfect tempo/start/stop synched.