Routing Pre/Post FX

Is there a way to use a one button setting to make things like modulation, reverb, and delay go before or after my amp sims without loading 2 instances of the same plugin? Sometimes I’m looking to have the fx go into the amp; sometimes after. Is this only possible with different rackspaces entirely or am i missing some routing technique with mixers? So far everything i’ve tried ends up in a null loop, so any help is appreciated.

The short answer is yes–it involves adding multiple Gain/Balance plugins, with multiple linked widgets mapped to the Mute parameters. The wiring will be quite messy and convoluted, but it is doable.
Also, you can set up multiple instances of those plugins before and after the amp, and use linked widgets in bypass for the before and after set of effects. The bypassed plugins don’t use CPU.

Why are you hesitant to make separate rackspaces for each type of routing? That’s how GP is designed to work, so you don’t have to go through all of what I listed above to achieve what you want with just one trigger. Only the active rackspace consumes CPU, so you don’t have to worry about having multiple instances of a CPU-hungry plugin in different rackspaces.

3 Likes

I’m using a setup with my amp sims in Global Rackspace using to/from global rackspaces to generate different insert points (pre/post/parallel/serial) for fx-plugins to achieve something similar you want.

Believe me -as long as you don’t encounter any ram usage/load time problems- stay with edm11’s suggestion. Simply build different rackspaces to your needs an switch between them.
Otherwise your setup will get very complex and error-prone quickly!

3 Likes