Roland Sound Canvas VA freezes / Lost Program Changes

On my computer ther dates are changing automatically from one day to the next :slight_smile:
I am shure that I don’t have set the date manually back because this causes problems with the
domain controller. The only thing that could be, is that the date was corrected by an NTP Time
Server, but this can only be some seconds.

Sent you a PM with some instructions. Please respond there about the trial. Thanks

Hello again, I’ve played a little bit with GP and it works with program changes and also with Sound Canvas. But at all, the VST-Plugins from Roland have not the quality as I expected (Tested Sound Canvas and XV-5080). Sounds are ok, but the CPU usage is at a (in my opinion) high level. Other PlugIns (Steinberg, Native Instruments, ASS, Waldorf) didn’t create so much CPU load. Is this a problem of my (PC)-configuration or is this a known behaviour of the Roland PlugIns named above?
The emulated hardware is over 20 years old, so that it should be a snap for modern computers …

Thanks
Martin

My own experience is that the Roland plugins are extremely CPU intensive.

OK, so I think that it’s a problem of their implementation, and not a problem of my PC.

Yes - I’m on a Mac and have seen the same thing. Generally, in this situation, if a plugin is making a sound that you love but it’s too “expensive”, I sample it into Kontakt and use it that way.

3 Likes

My experience over the years is Roland has tried to get into and out of the “software” side of the business a number of times, pulled back, gone back in, etc.

Like a lot of software companies, when they pull back they don’t “delete” the software they previously developed. They just leave it out there, closer to “abandoneware” then “supported software.”

Sound Canvas, despite being available today through Roland Cloud, is still abandonware from my point of view. I haven’t touched it in at least five years, but even then it struck me as dated and unsupported.

Roland is now trying to make a software comeback again, this time centralizing on the Zenology/Zen-Core platform. The idea there is to have a common platform where Zenology (the VSTi) patches will sound exactly the same as those on the hardware synths. Kind of like what Line 6 is doing with Helix. Software and hardware all running a common platform so you can move patches seamlessly across hardware and software.

The net result today, from my experience, is that older Roland VSTs that don’t fit neatly into the Zenology/Zen-Core platform may still be available and supported on Roland Cloud, but they results can be mixed.

I like Zenology, and that’s clearly where their development efforts are focused. But that’s still a work in progress. In my experience it’s not any more of a CPU hog than any other analog synth modeler package (e.g. Arturia Analog Lab V) but I say that with the caveat that I’m a “try the presets, find a few I like” kind of user when it comes to analog synths.

1 Like

Thank you @Vindes for this historical analysis, that’s the feeling I had, but I was not sure about it as I missed the early days of Roland plugins. I am still owning a JX-8P :wink:

My Roland Cloud Sound Canvas VA is not working properly with my Windows 10 Computer. It works fine with Cantabile and with Digital Performer, but not with GigPerformer. Please help. I cannot send program changes. There is no feature to send a Program Change to my Sound Canvas VA…I don’t want to insert redundant Roland Sound Canvas VA plug-ins on every single rackspace in order to change sounds on my Roland Sound Canvas VA…

What version of sound canvas are you using?

How do you send PC messages to the Roland plugin?
You can map a widget to a midi in plugin and select the pc parameter.
This way you can send pc messages from the midi in plugin to the plugins connected to the midi in plugin.
Did you try that?

Why not? This would be the easiest and most reliable way to do this in GP!
BTW: Several users reported to having various issues with Sound Canvas, especially when used in GP.
(The search engine might reveal some threads about it)