RigManager - Manual selection of Controller

Hello,

in the RigManager I want to define a MIDI Control Alias to switch the leslie of my organ vst between fast and slow. Unfortunately the button on my keyboard I want to assign to the alias does send multiple CCs (99,98 and 6 - I checked that with the MIDI monitor). When learning MIDI control, Gig Performer takes the first CC it receives and assigns it to the alias. Unfortunately the value of the button (on/off) is CC6 but Gig Performer assigned CC99. Any ideas how to solve that?

Greets
Wolfgang

Unfortunately those are NRPN (Non Registered Parameter Number) controllers which GP currently does not directly support those - they require a sequence of messages rather than a single one.

It is possible to use GP Script to work around this problem - see for example this thread but it takes a bit of programming effort.

1 Like

Yes, especially if your controller is a Hammond XK5 or alike:

I don’t know if @brandon implemented all of the Hammond NRPN codes, perhaps he could also help in case your controller is a Hammond…

Yes, I have at one point had all the available front panel fuctions on the XK-5 sending NRPN into a script and converting to CC. Regardless if it’s a Hammond controller or not, that script works and if helpful I could provide a paired down gig file.

1 Like

Thank you very much! This helps a lot, because it is a Hammond SK1 indeed :wink:

cool… nice to see another hammond player on here.

Let me know if you need further guidance. One tip… once you compile the script and it works, you will no longer see any NRPN values comming from the keyboard that are not in the script. So if your keyboard has 8 possible surface controls and you get just one working, you will not see the other 7 incomming. You have to break the script to see all your NRPN values again, so I would first make a table of all the values you see in midi monitor and save that someplace before you implement this script to inject the NRPN to CC values.

Once you have the CC values working, make an alias of them in Rig Manager.

Lastly, I was able to control some sub-menu items in the XK-5, like tube drive, that are not available on the surface controls, by controlling those with a scriptlet where I mapped to a widget the sysex message the XK-5 would want to recieve to edit that sub-menu parameter. So it’s possible to tap into some of the deeper levels of the hammond organs. The SK1 would have a unique sysex table of course.