Rig Manager Change but... different velocity curves?

All,

Been a while since i posted. This situation I am trying to figure out is somewhat simlar to this post from earlier this year… but different: Rig manager: MIDI devices zones and channels - #40 by LeeHarvey

And perhaps a script will help, which I’d like to avoid if at all possible. Here is what I am trying to do.

I have two keyboards. One weighted action, the other is waterfall organ action. When I am gigging or at rehearsal, I have both keyboards. Each is assigned to it’s appropriate VSTs… all is well with the world.

When I am at home rehearsing, I only have the organ action keyboard. So with rig manager I can of course assign the same controller to both keyboard aliases when I am playing with just one keyboard but… this controller’s action is not sutable for weighted action sounds like piano.

If I change the velocity curve on the midi in block I can make the organ action work well enough for piano vsts for rehearsal but that means making a separate midi in instance with this specific curve.

I’m tryign to make this a quick change situation where I only use the rig manager but I effectively change the curve as well.

Would I make a second instance of the midi in node, with the adjusted curve, and associate that to a different midi device alias which I would then hardware assign to the organ action keyboard so as to not enable the weighted action alias instance?

If so… how do I add a midi in plugin for a device that I don’t have connected? For instance although I have an midi device alias for my weighted action keyboard in rig manager, I can’t create a midi in block that releates to that device and it’s not available in the drop down list and I assume this is because I don’t have it physically connected? Never having tried to program for keyboards that aren’t attached I’ve not run into this before.

p.s… once I associate a keyboard to a midi device alias… all my midi in nodes change to that alias (MIDI In (alias)) and if I un-associate that alias with the hardware… the plugin instances stay with the last associated alias to have hardware. I would expect these plugins to revert to the origial alias and/or become inactive but it seems to permamently change the association of the plugin node. Is this correct and if so, why?

I am also facing situations where I don’t play on my live rig (home studio, rehearsal…). I really would like to have curve profile aliases defined in Rig Manager and associated to a particular controller alias, such that they would be available within the corresponding MIDI in block. E.g. I could have a Key_88 keyboard defined in Rig Manager with curve profiles Piano_curve and Synth_curve. In my Rackspace I would simply use the Key_88 MIDI in block and choose the Piano_curve if I want to use a Piano plugin or the Synth_curve if it is a synth plugin. If I need to change the hardware controller, then I would simply redefine the curve profiles in Rig Manager.

1 Like

I think that this request is already in the tracking database.

Could you check and see if you can find it. If so just maybe add a comment. If you can’t find it- please open a new feature request entry

Thanks.

2 Likes

It was not in, but I added an entry.

2 Likes

New features like this are always welcome but is there a work around now, such as I ruminated about above? I can’t seem to figure out how to get there from here though.

We could perhaps use a (or even a set of) LGPP MIDI in block with a specific curve and with the thru input activated for connecting a Rig Manager defined MIDI in device block?

GPScript has the ability to load scale curves and then you can pass things through them.

I’ve never tried this but I suppose you could add a rig specific GPScript (new feature in 4.5) that responds to incoming midi messages from particular devices, processes them through a scale curve and reinfect them.

I know you didn’t want to use scripting but one of main reasons we developed GPScript was so that people could implement functionality not (yet) available in the GUI.

2 Likes

Yes, this should work, but for only one curve. With several curve profiles, it would be more complicated. Perhaps we could apply one curve per MIDI channel and reinject it such that we could a MIDI contrainer plugin in the wiring view to select the right curve profile.

But, this wouldn’t be as convenient as a @djogon’s reworked version of Rig Manager :innocent: :wink:

1 Like

In trying to work around this issue without getting into scripting, which I just don’t have the knowledge or time to do in a self-reliant fashion, I tried making a new alias in Rig manager thinking I could associate that alias to midi-in blocks with my custom practice curve within and have them only listen to incomming notes if that alias was assigned to hardware, like a rig profile I would save for practice… but would essentially be null in another rig manager profile where that alias isn’t associated with hardware.

However, to my surprise a bit… this doesn’t work at all. If there is no hardware assigned to that alias, in the midi in block, a different alias is auto selected and it will grab the alias that is also assoicated to the same hardware the empty associated alias last was assigned to, or so it seems to behave as such.

So while aliases show up in the midi-in plugin window at the end of the name in parentheses (and from the drop down lists of midi-in plugins) they don’t act as exclusive midi input device aliases and can’t be used therefore to ‘dis-associate’ hardware connections.

So while fine for swapping 1:1 keyboards and honoring the widgets linked to those midi input devices, aliases and the rig managerseems limited in moving between different numbers of keyboards.

Unless I am missing something?