Rig Manager and Roland XP Custom buttons just do the same thing?

Hi, I’m wondering if someone who understands midi can help me out as I try to program my Roland XP 80 synth controller in Rig Manager. (Using a UM one interface)
On my old Roland XP 80 when I go to “learn a button” in Rig Manager using a physical button on the Roland it seems to replicate the command for every single thing I try to learn…so for example:

1. I press “Learn” for button 1…it learns this.
  2. I press “Learn” for button 2…but then it uses this command for both of them…if I learn a third…it then works for all three!
    So it seems like the Roland is sending the same midi single every time…regardless of what button I press…but I can see different program change numbers…

Can someone interpret this for me please? Given there are different “program change numbers” have I got anyway to map custom buttons? Thanks so much!

Could you please tell us exactly which button of the XP 80 you want to use ? Then open the Global MIDI Monitor and press successively, say, three of the buttons you want to use and post the screenshot of the result.

Thanks David,
So when I press the physical buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 on my xp80 it sends 4 sets of 3 commands at a time like this:

Interestingly in Mobile Sheets it works fine if I decide to program something like “Next Page” and then “Previous page” because I have an option in there to only accept the progam change only…not include the other values

For example in this picture from Mobile Sheets I can select just the program change.

Is there a way to just receive the “program change” like this in the rig manager too? I’m guessing it is maybe the first two commands like CC Bank Select 80 Channel 16 being idenitical that is causing confusion?

Here’s a pic that shows you numbers1,2,3,4 that I am trying to use:

And here’s a pic that shows Rig Manager…so I have “learned” numbers 1,2,3,4…and several light up when I press numbers 1 to 4 in the green section of rig manager…so pressing number 4 activates 1, 2 and 3 (not 4 for some reason!)

Thanks for any clues at all!

The rig manager learns the first message it sees. All your buttons are sending bank select messages (the same one) before they send program change messages and so the rig manager is picking up the first part of that bank select (a CC message). That is why they are all the same

Several thing are necessary for you to use these buttons with GP for controlling things.

• first define an alias name for your XP80 (I stupidest used XP80 as alias name in the following).
  • then copy and paste the following GPScript in the Gig Script Editor and compile (eventually replace XP80 by the alias name chosen for your XP80… I hope it works, I cannot test for the moment):
Var
  XP80 : MidiInDeviceAlias

On ControlChangeEvent(m : ControlChangeMessage) matching 0,32 from XP80
  // suppresses the CC0 and CC32
End

On ProgramChangeEvent(m : ProgramChangeMessage) from XP80
  // Converts the PC into some CC
  InjectMidiEventViaRigManager(XP80, MakeControlChangeMessage(33+m.GetProgramChangeNumber(),127));
End
  • use the ‘momentary to latching’ option in the widget properties when you use these buttons (they won’t have on/off states and you won’t be able to use them as momentary buttons)

I hope it will work for you as I couldn’t test.

2 Likes

Thanks David…
Much appreciated. I’ll do some experimentation when I get a moment with that script…thank you!

I’ve also rigged up a Maschine Mikro Mk3…that I think I’ll “bolt on” to the XP 80…those buttons are working without issue…so effectively that gives me a whole bunch of extra buttons too…
I could buy some fancy new controller - but like my old Roland!

Thanks! - Matt

dhj
The rig manager learns the first message it sees. All your buttons are sending bank select messages (the same one) before they send program change messages and so the rig manager is picking up the first part of that bank select (a CC message). That is why they are all the same

Thanks dhj…I thought it was something like that…I’m still learning my midi terminology/concepts…banks and program changes and channels and MSB’s and LSB’s! A little bit confused about it all…but getting there
Thank you!

Hi David…well this worked brilliantly! That is amazing…great stuff! Thank you…I’m not totally sure what everything is doing there…but it works…truly awesome bit of code! Thank you!

2 Likes

Happy if it works for you. It only catches any PC message from your XP80 and converts it to CC messages. :nerd_face: :wink:

Thanks David… I’m still learning the difference between PC’s and CC’s
So if I’ve got this right this is what is happening:

At the moment I’m using two other buttons from the Xp80 to send a program change to Mobile sheets (routed through loopMidi) to turn the pages in Mobile sheets… they in turn send a message back to Gig Performer using a PC to change the rack space for whatever patches I want

Simultaneously the other Xp80 buttons are being turned from PC messages via the script to cc messages which Gig Performer better understands to control other custom features in the rig… but this won’t cause a clash in Mobile sheets because it’s still receiving the PC message.

It all seems to be working well… just occasionally weird stuff happens:

Eg. One of my custom sliders also turns the master gp volume to 0 whenever I play after touch notes on the keyboard!

Also one particular song in Mobile Sheets sends everything in a nose dive with rack spaces just changing instead of the regular play button for songs starting.

My guess is there must be a PC or a CC clash where numbers overlap?

Is it best to use midi monitor to try and troubleshoot these kind of weird things?

Thanks for your help… the great thing is I’m nearly at the point I can control everything from my old Roland xp80 and not even need a secondary midi controller… just have to troubleshoot a few bugs!

Yes, you can probably check this with the GP Global MIDI monitor.
For your in formation I converted PC to CC starting with CC number 33. This can be changed in the GPScript if needed.

1 Like

Thanks David… will keep testing! Much appreciated!

I’m wondering if GP should add MIDI Edit capability to the rig manager so that if it learns the wrong message one can go in and edit it, much like it can do when you learn MIDI messages for widgets?

4 Likes

Yes, absolutely. :+1: