Rig manager and Global rackspace

I need help! Trying to set up a global sustain pedal (cc64), so it always works no matter which rackspace. Watched GP backstage videos and others I could find but it’s not working. Tried other things that seemed obvious but still nothing. I believe I need to set it up in rig manager so here’s a pic of it. Anyone can step me through this? I’ve got other controls mapped successfully to knobs and buttons etc but the pedal plugged into my controller just isn’t working.

What is the issue?
For Sustain working you do not need the rig manager
And I do not understand why you created a MIDI Control Alias name “sustain pedal” and mapped it to Note ON F#3

1 Like

I clicked on learn in the edit section>midi and got pop ups telling me I needed to set up aliases in rig manager. I tried watching videos about setting up rig manager but it wasn’t that helpful. The display in the alias showed note numbers while I was testing the pedal to see if it worked. I’m very new to GP and still learning. How should I go about doing this? My rig is a notation launchkey 88 mk3 running din into Motu m2 and then usb-c to MacBook Pro.

Do you want to control the widget “Sustain Pedal” via MIDI?
When this is true:
Learn the sustain pedal to your MIDI Control Alias in Rig Manager
Then in the widget properties under the section MIDI pressing the icon left to the button “Edit” you should get the entry “sustain pedal” and select that.

Did you read this?

Please see this blog article

1 Like

I tried that and clearly got something wrong. That’s why you saw sustain pedal as an alias which you questioned. How do I do that. Rig manager is a bit confusing for me at this stage.

Did you read the documentation?

Yes. The blog does not cover what I need. It discusses how the block midi messages like sustain for different zones or instruments by using midi in blocks. This I already know how to do. It does not say how to get GP to recognize the controller in the first place. I’ve tried the same procedure as other widgets which map and work fine. I’m going to go back and try every pedal and foot switch I have to make sure it’s not some kind of compatibility issue. I tried reversing polarity without success. Do you know where I can find a blog covering how to use rig manager? That might be what I need.

There is no need to use Rig Manager to detect CC 64 which is sustain.
When you map CC 64 to a widget then the widget is controlled by that CC message.
And the Controller message does not go further to plugins, that is designed behavior.
WIth a property on Widget called “Thru” you can set that the mapped CC message (or whatever message it is) is not stopped at the widget

So I do not understand why you are dealing with Rig Manager juts to process the CC 64 Message.

Because apparently I’m confused. I keep reading references to rig manager from different sources as something I need to do.

You do not have to use Rig Manager to control Widgets by MIDI, but you can.

I would really like to set certain controllers once and have it work for every rackspace instead of repeating the same procedure every time. I thought to do it in Global rackspace but I can’t get that to work either. Please forgive my ignorance but there’s so much information to process it’s hard to get specific instructions. This is my first foray into a VST rig having used hardware rigs for 40 years.

What are your controllers?
Do you know this?

I am based in Southern California. My rig is a Novation Launchkey 88 mk3 connected to a Motu M2 via 5 pin din. M2 connected to MacBook Pro w/m2 chip-16gb ram, 1TB ssd via usb-c. Motu bus powered from Mac while notation bus powered via usb from a powered hub

This was one of the first videos I watched. I found it extremely helpful and have gone back to review it a number of times. It’s a shame there isn’t a library of short direct videos like this for specific topics, done by this guy. Much like the Roland videos for the Fantom and Fantom 0 done by Ed Diaz. The guy in the backstage videos isn’t very concise. Pertaining to your other recent message offering a zoom meeting, I would love to do that as I think step by step instructions would be really helpful for a couple of functions. Another option could be a FaceTime chat if you use Apple products. I use mostly Apple but do have a pc laptop I use for certain things. I normally have a pretty open schedule. Where are you located? As you know I’m in SoCal USA. Let me know when you’d have time to do this and how,which platform.

Well the sustain problem is solved. It was a bad pedal. Dug out an old foot switch and it works flawlessly on all rack spaces without the need to map it. These are the things that drive me nuts. I should’ve known right away to insert a midi monitor to check it but the pedal worked fine last time I used it. I feel so silly. Thank you so much for your help. I still have a lot to learn like using Global rackspace, Rig manager,etc but this gets me over a rather large hurdle as far as live performance control.

4 Likes

Don’t forget to give yourself time. You’re mapping your existing knowledge to a new expression of that same knowledge. It’s like moving to a new city and getting a new car. You understand what a library is, but you need to learn a new route and the radio doesn’t work the same way anymore, but you can still drive to the library. You’ll even find the same books there too. You’ll get it.

Nice analogy. Thanks for the encouragement.

1 Like