Reusing Global Rackspace components across songs

Hi all, trying to figure out something that should be very simple but somehow I can’t find a way to do it in GP.

First, I use the Audio player to play backing tracks, and the idea is of course to change the files played back with song changes. Is there a way to trigger AP preset changes by changing songs in the Setlist mode?

Second, I’m trying to set up expression pedals in the Global rackspace (with curves etc.), and then pass the data through to individual plugins in rackspaces on demand - is this possible?

Thanks!

For (1), it’s not quite a simple solution to manage the AFP in the global rackspace and have it change tracks when you change songs.
A common option is to instead use a second instance of GP solely for managing your tracks, and use a separate rackspace per song.

Some prior discussion:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

I realize I can use separate instances or even launch the backing tracks elsewhere, but I think the whole reason why I want to use GP is to have everything in one place and easily transferrable between computers.

The link is interesting, I’ll take a look.

Thanks again

Are you talking about the GP plugin/user presets? Or just to change the track/lane within the AFP?

My initial idea was to change GP plugin presets somehow, together with songs in the setlist.

Since I couldn’t find an obvious way to do it, I tried to change lanes, but there are only 8 of them, and then again, that’s an action separate from changing songs.

So in the end I don’t know what’s better.

I must admit I’ve not thought about using the GP plugin presets as a way to load files per song. But it does work…

• ‘Gig Scripts’ can detect when a song has changed, but this level of script cannot interact directly with widgets or plugins.
  • So instead, you can get the Gig Script to send an OSC message that contains the selected song name.
  • This OSC message is received back by GP, and detected within the ‘Global Rackspace Script’ (which CAN interact with plugins).
  • The Global Rackspace Script then loads the AFP plugin preset that has the same name as the selected song.
  1. Activate OSC in the GP Options

2. Add this to the Gig Script editor (Window menu) and click Compile

// Called when you switch to another song
On Song(oldSongIndex : integer, newSongIndex : integer)
    OSC_SendStringSpecific("/GP/Song", GetSongName(newSongIndex), "127.0.0.1", OSC_GetGPListeningPort())
End
  1. Add an Audio File Player plugin to the Global Rackspace and add an OSC/GPScript Handle (via right-click menu). Call it “AFP” and tick the box for “Use in GPScript”

2. Add this to the Global Rackspace script editor and click Compile

Var
   AFP : PluginBlock

// Called when a specific osc message is received
On OSCMessageReceived(m : OSCMessage) Matching "/GP/Song"
    LoadGPPreset( AFP, OSC_GetArgAsString(m, 0))
End
  1. Now, when you switch songs, the AFP will attempt to load a plugin preset that matches the name of the selected song. You will see a confirmation (or error) in the header/title area of GP if it finds a matching preset and successfully loads it.
4 Likes

Awesome, thanks! A simple and lightweight solution, works like a charm.

One super minor issue is when it fails to load a preset it keeps the previous one loaded, so I need to create blank ones for the songs that don’t have backing tracks, but that’s easy to solve.

2 Likes