Replacing file in Streaming Audio Player

Hi, how to replace audio file at given position in Streaming Audio Player without losing markers? Let’s say I want to update backing track which has a lot of markers. How to do it?

I can replace file on disk and restart GP. Is this a way to go? What will happen to markers which are placed farther on the timeline than end of previous, longer audio file? Will they be preserved?

You can replace the file on disk and the SAFP will play the new content, but I guess markers beyond the end of the new file will be lost once you save the project.

As far as I know the SAFP is a work in progress and I expect in the future there will be possibilities for saving, restoring or copying markers. But this just my expectation.

Yeah, it is work in progress for sure. I gave it a solid try and was very eager to adopt it but it is not ready for anything but simple use cases with a handful of markers. It is just too much work to manage markers and actions, if you have dozens of them.

It is a pity because the feature concept is exactly what I was waiting for but it is jumping the gun by quite a lot, in my opinion.

BTW.: I lost 50 minutes of work yesterday because of GP hang while adding markers - autosave feature would be great - I forgot to save because most, if not all programs on Mac I use everyday do autosave for years and I just lost the habit of hitting CMD+S.

Huh? Can you reproduce that please?

Unfortunately no, happened after 50 minutes of working with GP (it was Mac’s “spinning ball” and GP taking 105% of CPU all the time). No way I’ll spend another 50 minutes doing it - was extremely frustrated that I lost all this work.

Maybe it’s just me, but I hit save every 5 minutes (or less). Not in Gig Performer, but in every application (simply, I had many burns and lost work).

My best advice is save/backup.

1 Like

In Windows: ctrl-s prevents stress :slightly_smiling_face:

I do exactly the same thing, it becomes automatic…
As we say in French: a scalded cat fears cold water :wink:

While I agree with you on the backup part - lack of auto-save feature in 2023 is a bit odd choice. All DAWs I use do this, so do all code editors I use, office software, video editing software, mail clients, calendars, etc. And they do it for years - so long that I forgot that I can lose something by not saving. It is so convenient that I took it for granted and I think everyone should expect from modern, professional software to not lose work - especially because auto-save feature is not really difficult to code.

Remember this asterisk sign in window title which meant that document is unsaved? It is not longer there on Mac in most apps because everything is always in “saved” state.

That being said I still think GP is exceptionally good at what it is doing but it definitely could improve in a few areas.

GP is meant for live performance. Auto-save is not a feature you want coming on in the middle of a show, as that could cause audible audio issues. As stated above, good saving habits are important, especially if you’re working on something for a while.

1 Like

It takes hours of work to prepare for a show and it would be nice to support user during this process as well. It should be fairly easy to make a distinction between actions that should trigger auto-save (project structure changes, rackspace structure changes, added / removed plugins, wiring changed, added/removed markers, widgets, actions etc.) and actions that should not (while song is playing, only parameter values are changed, but no other structural changes took place to the project, while recording is happening etc.). Auto-save could also be just a preference user sets.

We went on a tangent, though. I would like to have it - but I can also live without it. Just need to wait for SAFP to offer faster, more efficient ways of editing actions.

GP documentation and help forums etc have been one of the most impressive elements of my short time in the GP ecosystem :pray: It is so good there is just never a need to assume certain features are or aren’t there. Just check and once you know you can do what is necessary…takes 30 seconds to find out using the help options.

For whatever reason auto-save doesn’t appear to be considered critical OR there may be practical reasons it isn’t in there like someone mentioned about background automated processes going on.

Also this one: Gig Performer Resources