Recommendations for Guitar Amp / Cab-Sim VSTs?

I have to disagree unfortunately :slight_smile: Seems this is a highly personal thing, but I could never get any decent sounds from Amplitube. Now I haven’t tried v4 because all prior versions failed me completely.
The tone was always somehow “processed” and overly noisy to try to emulate real hardware without success.

S-Gear, TH3, BIAS an even Guitar Rig were always better alternatives for me and I could always get really nice sounds combining those.

Just my 2 cents as a player… nothing more.

Is it your personal ranking ?

I would be interested in a Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble pedal which is used by Supertramp for their Wurlitzer. That’s what I also want to do. I know there is a replica called “Ensemble” in Guitar Rig, but I don’t know much about alternatives (apart UAD which makes use of an expensive DSP hardware). Any tip for me ?

The Kuassa Effector line has a CE model in their chorus plugin:

I haven’t used the chorus, but have their drive pedal plugins and they are great so would expect the chorus to be good as well.

Thanks, and I can try it for free :+1:

Not really a ranking in that order because for certain sounds some plugins are better. In many - I use combinations of plugins. In some cases - like when I use my Godin acoustic/electric guitar I just need a little bit of compression and possibly widening the image, but then use a different plugin for delay/reverb (I like Outer Space) for example.

And do you have a nice Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble replica in your plugin collection ?

Chorus:
Soundtoys Echo Boy and Microshift are fantastic.

1 Like

Right, there is a CE-1 Chorus preset in Soundtoys Echoboy, thanks for the tip !

1 Like

S-gear has won me over. I prefer Fender-style amps and play mostly humbuckers. For my style and needs It’s Wayfarer amp is amazing. I have bought and used most of the amp and fx sims and just spent a couple weeks with just the wayfarer and am done searching for better. I don’t do heavy djent /metal but do play thick distorted sounds occasionally. my experience:

Helix Native - pretty good, don’t like the interface much. excellent fx selection
Bias amp and Bias FX - (including the very latest version of both). Okay to good, but i agreed it’s overhyped. still checking out fx 2 for fx.
Mercuriall - I really like their SS-11 and u530. for just amps, my second fave -great clean platform for my analog pedals, a lovable thick heavy distortion sound if not as flexible range …very mesa boogie sounding to me
Amplitube - I really want to like it, and the UX is good. fix are decent sims are just okay. doesn’t have the “feel” that really satisfies me. fender amps are meh.
STL Tonality - some really useful sounds, decent feel, cool ux, but something is off for me…mostly missing connection and feel for me in the light over driven tubiness. heavy is good. clean is decent.
Overloud THU- 3rd best for me. very good UX, decent amps, but missing the magic level of feel but has some.

S-gear has very limited fx, but the cabs and reverbs are excellent. delay sounds good and is serviceable. I don’t use much chorus or flange, wish it had a compressor and a phaser. the range of light breakup to over heavy sounds and feels the most realistic. the amp eq choices and variety are spot on.

5 Likes

diwhite66, I really love those amps, I actually used them on some recordings along with the players real amp and sounded fantastic! Have you tried the waves PRS amp? They are absolutely stellar also

Oh, totally forgot to mention those. Yes, the PRS ones are stellar, I really like the Dallas for slightly more mid-forward cleans and mid-gain and the V9 for heavier. The archon ain’t bad either.

I do hate that all (nearly all?) the presets have the “air” control turned way up. I HATE the sound of the air control which tries to emulate a mic’d amp in room vibe and I think it just sounds like comb filtered horribleness. I could imagine folks trying the PRS supermodels and hating them initially because they don’t know that the air control is making things sound so bad. But hey, there are probably folks that like it.

1 Like

Found this:

a brand new amp sim that I have already fallin in love with : https://neuraldsp.com/products/archetype-plini/

The clean and crunch are amazing. The compressor, delay and reverb are wonderful.

The lack of Midi control (so far) is a total bummer, but I’m hoping they will add it - they really must. Once there is midi control, this will likely take over for most of my playing.

The clean amp is just perfection for me. From crystal clean to nicely dirty - it has had me playing for hours.

1 Like

I just downloaded this and will have to try it. Always on the “hunt” for a clean amp sound :slight_smile:

Btw… you don’t need MIDI control at all. Seems that they properly implemented automation so all of the parameters can be controlled from GP via widgets. You can then control your widgets with MIDI / OSC whatever you want and have a proper remote control that way.

1 Like

I understand that I can use the VST mapping inside the host. But I use Ableton Live for recording in my group, occasionally use Reason (solo work) and Presonus Studio One or Cakewalk (full bands) for recording. That means creating at least 2 (GP and Live) and up to 5 maps and editing them each if/when I need changes.
If Gig Performer had a VST plug version, that would be solved.

You could use Gig Performer Rackspaces for different sounds and just send program change messages from Ableton to Gig Performer to select different rackspaces.

This looks really interesting! Too bad I play bass.

Is there an amp sim out there that can make an open E bass solo sound good? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

For my needs, setting up 10s of rackspaces with different permutations is too much effort.

Sounds like you’re kidding, but if you want a Bass VST recommendation - Neural DSP has darkglass which is a nice preamp/distort pedal for Bass worth checking out. For a more robust bass amp vst I like Audified’s Tone Spot Bass Pro that just came out a few months ago. I use the two together for my bass channel and it gives me all the flexibility I’ve wanted.

Regarding NeuralDSP plugs (Archetype and Darkglass) - They appear to be crashing Gigperformer. I’ve let NeuralDSP support know. working fine inserted in Ableton Live

simple step to reproduce - new gig, insert neuralDSP vst, connect to input and output. within a few minutes gig performer crashes without warning dialog of any kind.