Recognizing Fireface 800

Up until this morning, I never had a problem with GP recognizing my Fireface 800.

Last night, I hooked up my second Fireface 800 to the first according to RME’s specific instructions. The hookup went splendidly and now I have two Fireface 800s connected as if they were one. IE: Fireface 800(1) and Fireface 800(2).

… but when I launched GP this morning I received these screen:

GP was trying to access Fireface 800(2) instead of Fireface 800 (1). I am making this post because Ableton Live has no problem at all with this setup.

I thought it was strange seeing that GP was using a Windows audio and the wrong Fire800(2). So, I selected ASIO as my audion device type and then selected “ASIO Fireface” as my device:

I received this error:

Any ideas?

Can you use that RME device in other windows settings?

Sure. No problems at all with Ableton Live :slight_smile:

Is Live completely shut down when you are trying this? Is Live using ASIO Fireface driver?

Nop, I only tried Live later to see how it would deal with this situation.

The whole problem comes down to GP won’t open the Fireface with all 16 ports … it only opens the 2 port version

What version of GP are you using?

I asked if Live was completely shut down and if it is using ASIO Fireface driver?
Also make sure that the sample rate selected is one that is supported by that configuration.

There is no reason why one application could use the ASIO Fireface driver and another one wouldn’t when everything else (sample rate/buffer size) is the same.

Until I hooked up the second Fireface 800 to the first one everything was just fine. Maybe the problem is: which one I designated as the terminator.

Evidently, GP handles the situation differently than Live :slight_smile:

@Phil - it is extremely difficult to help you if you are not answering our questions :slight_smile:

So please - for the THIRD time

a) Is Live absolutely shut down when you are trying this? Take a look at your Task Manager and make sure it’s not stuck in the background.

b) Is Live using the ASIO Fireface driver or do you see something else there?

c) Are you sure that the sample rate selected is the same? Maybe you selected an unsupported one somehow.

So, for the third time I am going to answer your questions:

a) Is Live absolutely shut down when you are trying this? Take a look at your Task Manager and make sure it’s not stuck in the background.

My Answer: Live could not possibly be running as I had just rebooted.

b) Is Live using the ASIO Fireface driver or do you see something else there?

My Answer: Ableton Live is using the ASIO Fireface 800 driver. The 802 uses a different driver.

c) Are you sure that the sample rate selected is the same? Maybe you selected an unsupported one somehow.

My Answer: Yes it is 44.1. I never vary from 44.1

I am going to try placing the terminator on the other Fireface 800. This is done by depressing the termination button on the Fireface 800. It will take me about 5 minutes to test this. In either case, I will get back to you with the results.

Thanks for helping :slight_smile:

It failed again in GP. Works fine in Ableton.

Selecting Device: ASIO now in GP will cause an error.

Is there some config or cache or temp files that GP uses or creates that I could delete?

OK, I just removed the second Fireface 800 from the equation COMPLETELY. Now everything works fine in GP. Strange?

What does this mean?
(I suppose that “802” is a typo and you are talking from Fireface 800(1) and Firefox 800(2) using the notation you first introduced to name the first and second Fireface 800 you own).
I think the only straightforward way to agglomerate the two Fitefaces under Win is to use the RME ASIO driver for all the audio interface. Did I miss something?

David, Yes, you missed something :slight_smile:

1. When I say “802”, I am talking about RME’s newest Fireface product offering - the “Fireface 802” which replaces the “Fireface 800”. I am not talking about which one of the two Fireface 800s I am trying to access.

2. I am using RME’s “RME ASIO driver”. This is the driver RME recommends to use.

3. Ableton Live, Bitwig, FL, and Cakewalk have no problem whatsoever dealing with the Fireface 800 connection and driver I am trying to use. The problem lies with Gig Performer.

The notation that you used in the first post and the fact that I didn’t know anything about the new 802 led to this misunderstanding.

So why did you write? :

What is exactly your goal/issue? To have both unit running at the same time or to have one single Fireface 800 running with GP?

My goal is for GP to recognize that my Fireface 800 has more than two audio outputs. The problem is with Gig Performer … and it’s most likely a problem with GP recognizing the ASIO Driver correctly.

Are there any GPers out there using an RME product and using RME’s driver?

I am using an UFX II on Mac