Random stuck notes

Hi all,

I’ve been having random notes get “stuck” on. I can stop playing and a random note or notes will still be hanging on. I can use the panic button to shut it off or I can play the stuck note again and it will stop.

It seems to happen across various plug and not while I’m changing rackspaces or variations.

I’d like to get some help in troubleshooting this.

I’m running GP 3.5 on a Windows 10 machine.

Thanks for any assistance.

Very unusual — what keyboard are you using and how is it connected to your computer?

How often is this happening? Has it always been happening or did it just start happening? ICan you reproduce the conditions? Are they always the same notes? Is it possible you “learned” a MIDI Note Off message by mistake? Click on Window | Show MIDI Assignments to see if this is a possibility?

If you open the Global MIDI Monitor, you should be able to see all incoming messages? Do you see all matching NoteOff messages coming in?

I use either a Kurzweil PC88 connected through a midi sport usb interface or a Nord Piano 2 with a Focusrite 2i4.

How often? Hmmm…I played for a couple hours this evening and it happened once or twice. I play at church once or twice a month and it seems to happen once or twice over a weekend.

I don’t know if it’s always been happening, but it’s been happening for a while, both with v 3.5 and the previous version.

I don’t think it’s always the same notes.

I’ll check the things you mentioned and try to replicate the issue tomorrow night.

Thank you

I too have experienced this, but on a Mac. I was playing live using a standard MIDI Controller connected via USB. And playing Blue 3 VST. At the time, I thought I maxed out the CPU and it stumbled. (this was when using my previous Mac. Since then, I replaced with a new 2018 MacBook Pro i9). I have not experienced it since.

Also, what plugin?

Is it happening with both of these configurations?

Yes it happens with both configurations.

I checked the midi assignments and all looks in order there - no note off messages memorized and assigned. I don’t think it’s always the same notes, but I’ll start watching for that. Also, I’ll keep a midi monitor window open and watch for note off messages - I’ll especially investigate if I get stuck notes. I’ll also keep an eye out for which plug in exactly. Its either a Native Instruments, Air Music Hybrid 3.0 or LABS.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot

1 Like

Been playing tonight for several hours and had no issues. Then, out of nowhere, a stuck F4 using the PC88 through the Midisport 2x2. Plug in was LABS from spitfire. As soon as I struck the note, it went off. Played the same note another 50 times and didn’t stick.

Unfortunately the midi monitor window wasn’t open, so I can’t confirm note on/note off messages.

So it just happened again…same keyboard, midi interface, and plug in. This time, however, an F3. This time, I did have a midi monitor open and it appears to have a corresponding note off command for every note on. For a few of those pairs, there are CC64 messages between the note on and off messages for F3 and also channel pressure messages. Not sure if these may be affecting note offs…just trying to give all the info I can.

And it happened again, this time with multiple notes. I had two plugins running as pads behind piano, and only the Spitfire LABS is hanging.

and, Here’s the midi window at exactly the point it hung up.Capture

I hope this is helpful

@sas,

So basically it hung on all of the notes of the F chord even though we see the note off commands in the midi monitor for the MIDISPORT 2X2 Midi IN?

X

And it’s only happening with the Spitfire? Do you have a single MidiIn block connected to all three plugins? If so, and only the Spitfire is failing, then that strongly suggests a problem with the Spitfire plugin.

It only happened with the Spitfire, yes, but I have two separate midi in blocks for the two different pads. The piano is a hard synth, not a vst. I’m not sure how that makes a difference, but since it happened so often last evening with the Spitfire and not the other vst, it still seems like it must be a Spitfire problem.

I’ll remove all Spitfire pads and see if I still have issues.

If there’s any other trouble shooting, I’m happy to try it.

Basically, yes…though I’m not entirely sure if all the notes of the F chord hung or not. It seems like there were some additional notes in there as well.

Now you understand why I’m confused!

Having two separate MidiIn blocks should not matter at all. Rather than just removing the spitfire, could you replace it with some other plugin that has a similar sound (or even not a similar sound) just to see. If you don’t get stuck notes with another plugin and then you go back to spitfire and get them again, I’d be really confident (albeit surprised) that it is a spitfire problem.

update…I went in to remove all the Spitfire plug ins and thought things were going well.

However, I was just using the PC88 through the midisport 2x2 and got a stuck C4 using an Absynth pad.

So, I guess it’s not a Spitfire issue. :frowning:

If you play a plugin via the Nord and FocusRite MIDI, do you get stuck notes?

That’s a great question. Now that you’ve asked it, I think that the only time I get stuck notes is through the midisport 2x2 using either the PC88 or the Nord. I use the PC88 at home and the Nord at church. For practice purposes, the PC88 is my Nord substitute.

Perhaps the midi interface is my problem. I’m pretty certain I have the latest drivers since it’s an older model (more than ten years old) and I’ve recently checked for updates.

I’ll do some more troubleshooting to try to determine if it’s isolated to that particular interface. Any good recommendations for a simple, small midi interface?

Thanks!

While I wasn’t immediately ready to blame it, this was the next thing to check. By any chance is it connected to a hub? If so, is it a powered hub? If it’s a really old device, it might be wanting more power than your computer is providing.

But if the midi monitor is showing that Gig Performer receiving notes offs, wouldn’t that suggest it not being a hardware or driver problem?

As for recommendations, I’ve been happy with my Roland UM-One mk 2 but usually it’s usually either doing foot controller duty or collecting dust, so not exactly rigorous work.