Ram Conservation: Duplicate Rackspace or Bypass Unused Plug-ins?

I want to be more care cautious about ram use in my system.

Let’s say I have a single rackspace with 3 Kontakt instances and 3 different sounds.

Let’s say I want to do another song that uses one or two of those sounds, but I don’t need the other one (or two).

From a ram perspective, does it matter if I duplicate the rackspace, keep the 1 (or 2) Kontakt setups that I am not changing (and maybe add another within a split keyboard).

Or Just use the same rackspace and use a widget to bypass the non-used Kontakt instances.

I prefer the former. It seems seems easier and more intuitive to me (I am not as strong with widgets).

(I “thought” I remember reading there is no (or tiny) difference ram-wise if you set up a 2nd rackspace with the same instrument/sound. If the same samples are used in the Gig file, there is no increase in ram usage. But, I am not sure),

Thanks (as always).

Jeff

I don’t think bypass does anything other than turning off audio processing for the plugins. It doesn’t actually unload the plugin, as you would do in Cubase, Logic, Vienna Ensemble Pro, etc where you can actually disable a track in order to unload the instrument/plugin entirely from CPU and RAM, while keeping all the settings stored so when you enable that plugin again, everything is ready to go, including routing.

Does anyone know if that’s possible with Gig Performer? It’s the one feature I’m missing. I have a main template with my most used instruments/plugin combinations but it would be fantastic if I could open the template with everything turned off, and enable rackspaces or individual plugins as required.

Benefits: small CPU/RAM/DISK footprint and blazing fast loading times, while having my entire sound set one click away!

My current workaround is to have a “dummy” plugin that I can “Quick Replace”, but the downside of that is that it loses all my Panels mappings, so I have to manually edit every single Widget and select the relevant parameters for each new plugin.

Thank you for responding. Yes, agree re bypass.

But, I guess I should put it more simply. I am only talking about RAM. (Predictive Loading is Off).

I am assuming there is no effect on ram if I use the same rackpsace with a single instance of Kontakt for more than one song (in Setlist view).

So, my question does that change if I duplicate that rackspace to use in a different song? (So, now I have one additional rackspace, but it is a duplicate)?

To get a bit more complicated. . . . .

What if I keep that same Kontakt instance and the same sound loaded (with same articulations, etc.), but I add other plug-ins into the duplicated rackpsace. I know the additional plug-ins will increase ram usage, but does that second Kontakt instance with the same sounds/articulations in a different rackspace increase ram usage?

Of, does GP just know that once a particular sample is loaded it will not reload it (at least within the same VST (for example Kontakt)?

Jeff

I think that is beyond the control of GP. With predictive the plug-ins are unloaded and loaded (sort of JIT), but GP has no way to recognize dynamically that two plug-ins do have the same state or that you mean them to have the same state.

Closest to the behavior you’re looking for is, i I think, using the Global Rackspace. Maybe that might (partly) solve your problem.

Yes, maybe it is a Kontakt issue. GP probably is similar.

On the other hand, GP is a bit different in that it was designed to use multiple instances of a plug in rather than use program changes within a plug in.

So, even if multiple instances of Kontakt would re-load the samples within a DAW (I don’t know if that is true). I have a feeling GP was designed not to do that?

That depends on how Kontakt is organized internally. When they made the memory where the samples are stored a global resource (that is global to the process it runs in), then loading samples multiple times will be avoided. I expect Kontakt to be smart enough to do that, but I cannot confirm that, because I’m not using Kontakt myself.

GP does not control the internals of a van plug-in, although some plug-ins tap into the bypass and respond by going inactive or some other optimization (from a resource point of view)

BTW: I edited my previous comment, so maybe there is a remark that might help

I have very little doubt that reusing the exact same same rackspace in different songs in a setlist (or different setlists) does not increase the amount of ram used (all ram is loaded for the full gig file when Gig file is loaded (if predictive loading is turning off)).

So, if what you are saying is correct, from a ram perspective, there is a big difference in ram usage in using the same rackpace in two different songs versus if you duplicated that same rackspace to use in two different songs.

I thought one the developers once made a comment about this (I thought in a comment referencing that GP is very ram efficient).

GP is RAM efficient, but to conserve RAM with samples the plugins used are responsible for.

Appears that I’m actually having Kontakt (:slight_smile:).

Test on Windows with muliple Kontakt instances with each instance having the same instrument loaded, using 1 GP instance:

• Each instance increases used RAM noticeably when notes are played (even when the the same note is being played in all instances), so Kontakt is not really economic when it comes to RAM usage.

You loaded multiple instances of Kontakt.
For me it is normal that each instance which loads samples uses it’s separate RAM.

@jeffn1 was specifically asking whether Kontakt did reuse samples or not. So now we’ve both confirmed that Kontakt does not reuse already used samples loaded in multiple instances :slight_smile:

Does this option work? I’ve never tried it – but it sounds like it’s a way to share samples.

screenshot_211

NI support pages say that on a 64 bit system one should not use this option.
It is designed for 32 bit systems which do not have a lot of RAM

Do we know the documentation is correct? After all, this option shows up on the 64-bit version of Kontakt6

I canno

I cannot try that out: I have only Kontakt Player and it does not offer this option. (I’m also not the stakeholder in this topic. Only a Technically Heavily Interested Person :grinning:)

1 Like

Here a link to the documentation

Thanks, everyone!