Questions about a second instance of GP

Since only one processing core is used to process audio in Gig Performer, I wonder if using a second instance of GP (which will use another core) would not be a good solution to improve Mac performance by distributing the plugins from the different rackspaces across the 2 instances.

Example: A rackspace with 5 plugins, requiring a processor effort of around 50%. You could place 3 plugins in the first instance and 2 in the second, which would optimize the processing work. Is this possible?

If possible, other questions occur to me:

• If you have 2 GP instances open, the audio from both will be processed simultaneously (that is, will I hear both at the same time?). That would be mandatory, as if not, the main purpose of this would be lost.

• how do I control the 2 instances synchronously? That is, if you change to rackspace 10 in the 1st instance, will the second instance also automatically change to rackspace 10?

Greetings

1 Like

With a multi client ASIO driver you can use more than 1 instance
Instance can be synchronized automatically in using OSC and setting the options

I apologize for being so ignorant on this subject, but how do I know if I have a multi client ASIO driver?
And how do I know the IP addresses and ports?

The Remote IP Address is 127.0.0.1 - as you are using the same machine.
You decide the ports

1 Like

Will take a look at that as soon as I can

If both instances do work simultaneously using the same ASIO device, you’ve empirically confirmed it is a multi-client driver.

A lot of ASIO drivers are multi-client, luckily. Sometimes it is in the manual.

Keep in mind that you will probably have to use the same sample rate and buffer size for all instances using the same interface.

Just to note, the OP is using a Mac, so ASIO is irrelevant - CoreAudio on a mac always allows multi-client.

The OP was rather positive about ASIO, hence my explanation, but yes, for Mac it doesn’t apply :grinning: