Predictive loading feature

Tried today with predictive loading. At first it looked good, 50 songs in setlist (predictive loading 20 Rackspace’s), memory footprint was max about 28 Gb.

Switching songs also seems to work, but after a while, when switching “random” in the setlist, it just went into “predicting” and GP became (not responding) waited about 5 minutes, but did become responsive again. Will try a few more time, and see what triggered it. But will probably use Setlists for each set we play this weekend.

First of all, with predictive loading set so high, GP may want to reload a lot of plugins and if you’re selecting at random, you’re going to have to wait a long time if you move far from where you are.

Secondly, and we have no control of this, some plugins may decide to try and contact “home” and depending on connectivity, DNS settings and availability, delays will happen there too.

1 Like

I’m aware of plugins trying “to connect home”, the only ones that do that (that I’m using in my Rackspaces are the Roland Cloud plugins). I’m testing anyway without Internet connection, as I don’t have internet on Stage. Normally I see that the Roland plugins might sometimes add a “delay” of max 15-20 sec. The whole gig loads in about 1 minute.

Anyway I while try with putting predictive to 9, or something in that range, and see what happens. Btw is there a reason why I can set the predictive load value only to odd values ?

In the current design, we allow X/2 ahead and X/2 behind.

That may or may not matter, depending on the plugin

1 Like

And when I’m on the first song in the setlist, does it then preload X ahead (or better X-1) ?
Till I’m on position X DIV 2 + 1 and then your quote comes into action.
Or is it always just the X/2 ahead and X/2 behind value, and on the first songposition then just X/2 ahead ?

Well, it’s not hard to just test that — if you’re at the beginning, it will only load the ones ahead (X/2)

If you’re at the end, it will only load the ones behind (X/2)

1 Like

There is a risk in that, as initially only the half of the Rackspace’s are loaded, and then stepping thru the setlist, the rest will be loaded. So one might think on the first song, “I’m good memory wise”, but then progressing in the setlist, one might run into memory issues. (Just a thought)

Anyway I reduced the predictive value now to 9, and it seems to work well. Tested for several hours without issues. So guess I’m good for the gig tonight. One thing that happens though, I can save the gig no issues, in fact I can do anything without issues, but when I quit GP, then GP crashes consistently.
That does not happen when I don’t use predictive loading.
For tonight its no issue, as the gig will be over, when I quit GP :slight_smile:

I packed my stuff already but after the weekend I will gladly send a crashdump when this happens.

The risk is mitigated by testing in advance of playing with others!

1 Like

I’m aware of plugins trying “to connect home”, the only ones that do that (that I’m using in my Rackspaces are the Roland Cloud plugins).

While I know multiple people have reasons they won’t use plugins from certain vendors, this is a primary reason I will not use any plugins based on a subscription. I’m concerned about behaviors like this in my live rig. I would LOVE however to have the D-50 plugin…

X

I had the same concerns, but after several live gigs now, I’m confident enough to use the Roland plugins ( besides the fact that sometimes “SRX Orchestra crashes” GP (but only during editing/creation of Rackspace’s, and never when just using a Rackspace). the only thing I do before going to a live gig, I connect my computer to Internet. In that way Roland Cloud Manager updates the License, and I’m good to go for 1 month, or was it even 3 months.

Regarding predictive loading, for my situation its a NoGo. Tried it last weekend on 2 gigs. And it just did not work for me. It does not matter what the value of predictive loading is, when you step forward to a new song in your setlist, it always will unload and load a new Rackspace (as I have Rackspace’s for every song I play, because the sounds always differ). The loading of a Rackspace can take 1 second, but can also take 15 sec. depending on the complexity of the Rackspace. I noticed that when I play notes, while GP is “predicting”, I sometimes end up with hanging notes, or no sound at all, and after “predicting” finishes, then when start playing, then I get hanging notes.
For me its important that when i switch songs, that the switch is instant. With predictive loading I can’t rely on that.
As I have enough memory (64Gb) I can load easily all the needed Rackspace’s for 1 set. Thus decided to go that route again, as it has proven itself in previous gigs.

The other thing is that when use predictive loading (together with 5 other instances), after closing all instances and then closing the Main instance, GP always crashes. Which does not happen without predictive loading. It’s not a big issue, but it should not happen.
btw. I have send last weekend a CrashReport regarding this issue.

Since I only use one instance, I have not dealt with the same types of challenges you describe. I have however considered using more than one instance. For example, I could see using a single instance for my guitar rig and simply sending program changes from my main instance to control it. I wouldn’t use more than a single rackspace in that instance. I also like the idea of leaving a general piano and possibly organ sound memory resident in an instance. I can see three instances as the max I would use at any time. I’m curious as to other performers experiences with multiple instances.

X

I cannot say that the issues I have with predictive loading are related to the use of multiple instances. ( I think it should not). What I can say that I’m very happy with the use of multiple instances. Currently I’m using up to six instances:

• Main instance which sends program changes to my Piano instance, String/Organ instance, Vocal instance. In these parallel instances I have 1 Rackspace, with all plugins that I need, and use Widgets the create variations of plugin settings.
  • A guitar Instance for our 2nd guitar player, who has connected a footcontroller to my PC, and switches Rackspace’s himself.
  • A Master Bus Instances, which I use to control My monitor mix consistent, when loading separate sets.

And as mentioned before, with using multiple instance, the load gets distributed over multiple cores/logical processors.

This setup runs after testing in several gigs very stable, and I am confident using it that way, without being afraid during a Gig, hoping that everything keeps running.

1 Like