Predictive banner not turning green

I have started transferring all my GP stuff onto a new Surface Pro 9 with Gig Performer 5 installed. While expecting everything to translate smoothly, that is not the case. I’m having to rebuild many parts of each rackspace as GP seems to have forgotten many of its links. With well over 400 songs, it is going to take a while.

I have predictive set to 1, but the red banner saying Predicting stays as it, and won’t turn green to say Loaded. Is this an issue I should be concerned about? Is it a known problem? Is there a way to fix this?

What links? :thinking:

Does it happen when you set the number to 3?
Does this happen with any other gig file?

Mostly widgets to mutes, program changes and functions like that.

[quote=“npudar, post:2, topic:18407”]
Does it happen when you set the number to 3?
Yes

Does this happen with any other gig file?
It’s also happening with the new set I’ve started working on.

Can you post the simplest gig file showcasing the issue and a screenshot?

The predictive banner seems to have fixed itself. It was lighting up red, then dark red for the rest of the time the RS was open.

The other problem I mentioned is shown below:

The midi in blocks sent from my iPad, have lost their focus. These are sent from the iPad via OnSong. You will see that OnSong remains undarkened indicating that it is not active. This has now happened two times. The first was when I upgraded from V3 to V4. I spent many hours correcting over 600 songs. The second time was when I upgraded from 4 to 5 (now). Once again I have to spend many hours correcting the OnSong input. I would like to know what happens, and why it happens when a new version of GP gets its iPad midi input neutralised.

Why aren’t you using the Rig Manager? The main reason for the existence of the Rig Manager is to save you from all that work.

I’ve been using it for a couple of years. Why doesn’t it remember its OnSong midi input assignments.

Predictive banner is back and not turning off.

Also attached rack space as requested.
JOANNE.rackspace (219.5 KB)

Hi,

I took a look at his setup a few days ago. He had already started running into problems so I’m not 100% where it went wrong but I believe these are the possible reasons he is having problems.

1. When moving his gig file to his new computer, it doesn’t look like he moved Rig Manager as well so he created new aliases (new Rig Manager). The aliases he created didn’t match those of his original Rig Manager.

2. In some cases, he used physical ports (because aliases were not yet defined) and started replacing input blocks with the physical port names which are shown for any undefined aliases.

3. The input blocks for many of the devices had different names and when he re-assigned them, he chose follow “name” instead of follow “device” for input blocks in other rackspaces. Consequently, the change for other input blocks in the gig file did not follow correctly through all of the rack spaces.

4. Since the Rig Manager names did not match those of the original configuration, many of the MIDI learn functions that were tied to the Rig Manager had to be re-learned. I’m not sure if he MIDI learned the widget to the MIDI signal instead of the Rig Manager Control name. I suspect not in some cases.

I did not discuss predictive loading with him.

So I think it is important, if not documented anywhere, that the steps to move a gig file from one computer to another should be properly documented. This may already be the case as I really didn’t dig through the documentation. I am an occasional users of Gig Performer and I haven’t touched it for several months so many of these things I’m stating I have had to “re-learn” as well.

Maybe someone could point to the steps required to properly move a gig file to a new computer. Here is what I came up with but as an occasional user they may need some tweaking.

1. Install Gig Performer on your new computer.
  2. Save your active Rig Manager on you old computer
  3. Move your Gig File(s) to the new computer
  4. Start Gig Performer on your new computer
  5. Import your Rig manager that was saved from you old computer
  6. Insure all of you physical MIDI devices are seen on within Gig Performer on your new computer. Check or uncheck devices you will be using.
  7. Go to Rig Manager and assign devices as necessary (left hand side). The device alias names should be the same as your old computer.
  8. Ensure control assignment in Rig manager are all working (right hand side)
  9. The input blocks in your rackspaces should now properly still point to the proper aliases. If not, then you may need to change and input block to point to the proper device alias. If you do this make sure you follow device names when re-assigning the input block. This step is only necessary if the original input block was not properly assigned.

Edit) I forgot to mention that you must also install all your used plugins on your new computer.

This is based on my limited knowledge and occasional use. If any more experienced person can either edit this or point to where it is documented elsewhere, that would be helpful. As an occasional user, I don’t profess to be an expert on Gig Performer.

Again, in Alan’s case I think he just copied his gig file(s) to his new computer but did not export the Rig Manager. Then he started creating new aliases on the new computer (which were different than the old ones) and the chain of events that required re-assigning a bunch of stuff (aliases, input blocks, widget learning etc.) started.

I did not look into predictive loading which was the original title of this post.

I hope this sheds some light on the situation.

Steve Caldwell

PS, OnSong was an alias to his iPad’s OnSong output port. He has a few iPads so depending on which is connected it has to be adjusted to the iPad he has connected.

3 Likes

Yeah, I suspected he wasn’t actually using the Rig Manager on the new machine and that’s why he had to do everything manually.

He was using Rig Manager but it wasn’t configured properly. He didn’t export from the old system and import into the new system.

Steve

[blog] Gig Performer Maintenance: Save, Export, and Backup

We recommend that you export and save everything.

2 Likes

Off-topic to the OP, but another recommendation to prepare a migration to a new laptop:
Install all your sample libraries on a dedicated partion of your drive.
In my case, for example NI Kontakt and all self created samples go at X: and a folder structure.
Once when I moved from and old to a new laptop, I simply recreated the same folder structure at an X:-partition on the new laptop, either by installing the Kontakt-libraries in the folders with the same name, and copying my own samples to the same folder names.
Thus, NI Kontakt finds its samples at the same place where they have been at the old machine.

I have done this four times in the last 20 years since my keyboard rig is completey VST-based.

PS: On-topic to the OP:
Could it be, that a sample-based VST can’t find its samples on the new laptop, thus hanging during predictive loading?

1 Like

Could be. I will check it out. Many thanks for your suggestions.

I played my first gig with the new computer and GP 5 yesterday. I had two instances where my sound just stopped dead about an hour apart. GP was still on screen but not sounding. I rebooted and the sound was back. This morning during practice, I noticed that the predictive banner was still remaining red. With yesterday’s glitches in mind, I thought that repairing GP wouldn’t be a bad thing. So, I hit the repair button and the red predictive banner seems to have been fixed. And hopefully, the glitches from yesterday as well. Not sure why GP had the glitch as it seemed to install ok initially. Anyway it looks like things may be fine now. Cheers!

Well, I spoke too soon. The predictive banner is permanent again, but this time in dark red. Sorry for being hasty.

Also, all samples should use the same file paths as the other computer (or use symbolic links, but I think it is easier to just replicate the file paths is possible).

Yes, all applications needs to be reinstalled. And as when you initially installed them, you need to make sure that sample-based plugins are properly associated with the location of samples they use.

Yes all Vsts, etc need to be in locations where they are properly scanned by the plugin manager. My impressions this is less of a problem.

I did an initial move to a new, more powerful laptop. Then I bought a (close to) duplicate of the new laptop a year later (for about 1/3 less price!).

I tried to future proof, hoping for 10 years without getting a new laptop (fingers crossed). Because it definitely is a bit of a project (especially for those of us with mediocre tech skills) setting up the new computer.

The computer has been looking for Kontact sample folders which was the source of the problem. Cheers for all those who offered advice.

3 Likes

For future readers: were these folders missing or on a network drive or…?

1 Like