Possible Low Latency Audio Solution

Hi All.
I thought I would share a bit of what I am doing. I just started playing around with Gig Performer 4 along with my Waves eMotion LV1 system. I am able to route audio into Gig performer running GP4 on the same machine as my LV1 Host. I can tap after preamp, prefader, post, etc. I can also insert it in the track as a plugin.

Basic I/O latency with LV1 is .85ms. It’s basically ZERO added latency.

Alternatively, I could run GP4 on its own machine, and still have near zero RT latency in and out of GP with soundgrid protocol.

I am still wrapping my head around all the possibilities, but the most important part is that I works well and doesnt add latency.

Maybe this would work with something as simple as Dante virtual soundcard for a single box solution? I own a license, so maybe sometime I will give it a try…unless someone else already has?

1 Like

Hi @GeoMax, welcome to the family.

1 Like

Thank You! Glad to be here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me know something more…
Is this mixing solution a pure software or an hardware station?
Waves sites shows different packages, not so clear.
To have such a low latency and software complexity, which hardware are you using?
Vast majority of guys here is used to fight latency with a normal computer (Apple or Windows) and your example seems extremely intriguing…

1 Like

Sure. Here is a bit more detail.

I run Waves LV1, which is a software based live sound solution, integrated with Waves hardware and plugins.

For hardware, my setup includes (2) Digigrid IOX, and a SoundGrid Server Extreme (v3).
That provides 24 preamps and 12 line outs, as well as 8 Stereo headphone outputs. Using myMon, my bandmates and I can control our own IEM mixes using our iPhones or ipads.

My Host machine(windows 10 computer) runs Waves LV1 software. The Waves specific plugs are offloaded to the Extreme server over ethernet.
Additional computers can be added simply by install ASIO driver. So, I use LV1 in my studio as well as live.

Why did I want to use GP4? Well, Waves solution is limited to Waves only plugins. However, I can use external software inserts to add plugins that are on my computer. They just wont get offloaded onto the Wave extreme server.

I want to use GP for sound variations. Much like a pedal board for guitar, omaybe use some backing tracks, and plugins that I love that are not part of Waves…think SoundToys, BiasFX, etc.

The Waves Host computer doent have to be a very powerful computer. And, I could have a dedicated GP4 machine that can run lots of plugs in low latency.

I also control everything with TouchScreen monitors and soon a wireless iPad solution as well using Luna Display HDMI dongle. a whole different topic.

My basic goal with GP is for my guitar and vocal plugin chain, but I am learning about ways to maybe add effects for the whole band, maybe run the performance with GP4, etc.

There are lots of options to be creative with how one used GP4. I am just learning.

edit: My host PC (runs GP4 and Waves LV1) is 10700k with 64gb ram and all NVME harddrives in a high airflow case that is very quiet. I use (2) 21.5" Touchscreen monitors.

My whole rig price is in US$20,000ish range, but it could be done for less or more depending on you I/O needs…

2 Likes

Most of us play live. So a classic audio board with 4 in 4 out is perfectly ok. Key or string players rely on that. I was trying to understand your system setup to get low latency and software complexity. A notebook is our typical workhorse; latency and stability are our “beloved” issues.

2 Likes

Would love to see pictures of this setup!

3 Likes

Sure. I am just getting started, and I am currently messing around in my home studio trying to see how this all works. Here are a few pics.

The two computer stacked are my DAW and the LV1 Host/GP4 machine is the top one.
The cube is actually the soundgrid server extreme after I rebuilt it in a case and fan setup that made it so quiet it sits right behind my DAW monitors. Silently :slight_smile:

I did find the Latency test utility and ran a few tests on my IOX. However, I do not find these to be representative of my setup, as I do not have to exit and output to get the audio into GP and back out. I only have the internal latency of the machine. I can play at 48k/128 samples and it feel like zero latency right to my headphones. Analog conversion isnt happening until exit to FOH/Cans.

I included the absolute best this rig could do at 96/32samples…although I didnt try playing it, so I dont know if I would have any artifacts. Probably not on that computer as it is pretty snappy. My old MacBook pro might be a different story, or at least limit what plugs I could use.

Once I get it all dialed in, I am happy to report back with how things worked out. I am looking forward to trying it with my bandmate, if we are start playing again. Covid crippled so much of our momentum. Oh well…just keep dabbling in my studio for now.

6 Likes

Great!

As you progress, you can share your setup in the Gig Performer in Action category. :beers:

2 Likes