Possible bug 3.6.0

Possible bug with v3.6.0 under W10 using a Focusrite Scarlett 6I6 sound unit

On some racks I have L&R vertical meter widgets showing overall output volume gound to the audio interface. Since updating to 3.6.0 these racks no longer display the output volume at all (i.e. the widgets don’t change).

On looking at the rack details the Left meter widget is now pointing to Focusrite ‘Output Volume 3’ (instead of Output Level Ch1) and the Right Meter widget is pointing at ‘Output Volume 4’ (instead of ‘Output Level Ch 2’). If I change the settings back then they work again.

Also and it might be my imagination - but everything seems to be slightly louder than before when nothing else has been changed at all. But - as I say - I might be imagining it.

Please take a look at the audio settings, are you sure this is all correct?
Maybe you accidently did enable, disable the wrong audio outputs of your interface?

I haven’t changed anything in the audio interface to my knowledge for ages! It was OK the day before yesterday, I installed GP 3.6.0 and now it isn’t.

Its not a big deal - just reporting an observation.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding.
I meant the Audio Setup in Gig Performer.

The parameters in the Audio Output block will change when you connect a different audio device or you start GP with your device disconnected.

Therefore - it is far better and more secure to put an Audio Mixer plugin before your output connection and then you can connect your meters to it. Now the output configuration does not interfere with the parameters.

Hope this helps.

I’m mystified. I have not changed anything - i.e nothing at all inside or outside the computer - I just installed the new version of GP. I’ve never had this issue when I have installed a new version before.
But then we know that with software if you are not standing on the correct foot when you do the installation (or there isn’t an ‘R’ in the month) then something is bound to change. I take the point about the audio mixer plugin before the output connecton - although I’ve never had an issue berfore.

Anyway - I just reported it as a possible bug for information - but maybe not!

Are you sure, that in the Audio setup nothing has been changed?
Sometimes when you change your audio device it could be that the number of channels is more than before because different audio devices provide different numbers of channels.

When you noticed that your widget is not mapped correctly how many audio out channels have been shown in Gig Performer?

Lets try this one more (and the last) time. Its on the same shelf; in the same room connected with the same cables, to the same computer. Nothing has been moved or removed. Nothing related to the audio device has been altered, configured or otherwise changed. In addition I have also not changed the wallpaper or the paint in the room :-). I updated a couple of VST plugins at the same time - thats all (not related to this issue). The racks causing the problem are long time working. I simply installed the new verstion of GP.

As requested: The number of outputs channels shown =12.

Anyway - it is really not an problem - I can reconfigure the small number of racks that are an issue.

OK my last question (I promise):
What was your Gig Performer version before?

1 Like

I didn’t know that but I’m glad you do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Old version of Gig Performer was 3.5 (i.e. whatever the last version was).

I thought everyone in IT knew about the standing on one leg rule (and selecting the correct one of course) - it used to be part of fundamental training. Related - I was actually told by Prof Frank Sumner of Manchester University Computer Science Dept that if you have two identical computers, running two identical operating systems, runninging identical softwate - then if the colour of the room was different then there was a fair chance something would fail on one of them. He didn’t say which colour was the best (as that would have been useful to know) - and this does predate Windows which provides a whole new range of variability.

1 Like

Like Dilbert said …

I’m actually deeply aware of these many “Murphy laws” as applied to computing, I was just pulling the one leg you were standing on.

I’ve actually had my fair share of such mysterious failures over the years.

I was pulling your group legs too - although again not the one you are standing on. Although the Dilbert reference is lost on me (I am fan of Dilbert - but its actually about 12 years since I last saw any).

A thought occured to me with regards to my throw away comment about the sound seemed to be louder with GP 3.6. And consequently I am began to wonder if GP 3.6 is somehow using a different route to the speakers. Please don’t ask me to try to explain it - I don’t think even I understand how I got there. So using the Scarlett virtual mixer I can send VST audio to different virtual channels in the virtal mixer which mix to the real hardware speaker output and I have set each mixer channel to have slightly different preset levels of ‘gain’. I just checked and GP is actually curently routed to the channel with the highest level and not the one I expected (which would explain the slightly higer volume). This has not been changed for years and pre-dates GP - so I no longer remember if this is correct.

However, the one easy way to check if anything has changed is for me to wind GP back to the previous version. So can somebody please confirm that all I need to do is uninstall the current version before re-installing the previous one - as I seem to rerember you cannot install an earlier version over the top o f current one.

Ta

On windows - yes. You have to uninstall the current one and install the old one, on a Mac - you don’t have to uninstall - just install whichever version you want.
If you copy the current version to a new folder before uninstalling it - you can run either version any time you want.

Btw… we definitely did not change anything that would change the levels in GP. That would be a HUGE change for our users and if we were to do anything that could “break” current setups we would point that out clearly in our release notes.

OK - now I’m baffled. I went back to 3.5 and it is perfroming the same way as 3.6 - so obviously something has been changed in the computer that I know nothing about. Hmmmmm!!!

So lets put that down to experience… thanks for the help…

I’ve had similar issues when I started gig performer w/o the interface connected and it asks about virtual outputs etc. and there is only the left and right in the computer speaker so things get re-routed. It’s undone if you don’t save but if you do save- maybe not.

All the connections stay in place and you can save your gig. Next time you connect your real interface - the real connections get restored.

Just to confirm thats not the cause of my problem - the interface was not removed. I still have no clear idea what happened - but I’m as certain as I can be that it was something I did and that GP is not to blame.

The next sign of senility I’m told is dribbling (…slurp!!)