Plugin Latency

Just tested Adaptiverb from Zynaptiq with Gig Performer.
Adaptiverb is very cpu hungry and therefore a latency of 4000 samples is necessary.
But in the plugin a setup can be made to report zero latency to the plugin host.
With this setup Adaptiverb can be used as send effect.

BUt here is the issue, this setup seems not to be recognized by Gig Performer, so overall latency is driven by Adaptiverb.
When you play on the keyboard you get this huge latency and play live is not really possible.

I don’t think I understand the question here. If a plugin adds significant latency, then it’s not practical for it to be used in a real-time system. Remember that while a DAW can send data to certain plugins early (say) to compensate for plugin latency, when you need to produce the results in real-time, i.e, NOW, you cannot send data early because it hasn’t arrived yet.
You mention that it can be used as a “send” effect. How exactly do you have that plugin connected in your rackspace? Is it in series with other plugins? Can you upload an image of your rackspace?

Here I try to explain the rackspace.

Midi-in from my S88
AAS Lounge Lizard
Output to the audio device
Parallel Output over gain control to Adaptiverb
In Adaptiverb made the setup, so zero latency should be reported to Gig Performer
From gain Control to input of Adaptiverb
Made the mix of dry/wet in Adaptiverb to 100% wet
Output of Adaptiverb to the adudio device

So this chain should act like using a send effekt.

But now the direct output of Longe Lizard to the audio device has got the huge latency of Adaptiverb.

I made something similar in Ableton Live with real return channel.
The output of Lounge Lizard is not delayed.

Hope I could describe what the issue is.

Have you changed Gig Performer latency settings?

No, I did not change.

I have set it to 128 samples.

As soon as I remove Adaptiverb, latency is again as it should be.

From the description on their website - their “live” mode is simply letting the dry signal through right away and then produces the reverb effect later, when it has enough data to work with.

GP will process that as soon as your system is capable of, but they may still be too intense for your settings within the plugin or your sample size.

I assume your Sample frequency is set at 44,1KHz - right?

You can also try to set the buffer size to 256 samples and see how that impacts its performance.

I just downloaded and installed the trial version of Adaptiverb. Without live mode I experience the same delay you mentioned. However, as soon as I enable live mode, it works just fine on my Macintosh with Gig Performer. Tried it with both the AU and the VST version.

Is it possible you have an old version?

I just tested with Gig Performer 1.2, now it is working perfect!
Maybe the previous version of Gig Performer had an issue you fixed with the new version?

Doesn’t matter, now it is fine - good job!

Very old thread resurrection. From what I’ve read, GP does handle latencies when you have parallel signal paths with different plugins?

My query comes from using EchoBoy as a send effect. When doing this I could hear there was a slight delay from the EchoBoy output (tested with mix on 0% and there was phase cancellation when it was mixed back with the pre-send audio.

I used a Melda plugin that detects how much delay, which was 32 samples. Using this plugin or a free one I found to delay the main path by 32 samples made it sound ‘right’.

Does this mean EchoBoy is not reporting its latency to GP?

Maybe silly question:
When you use a DAW then latency compensation is very handy, because tracks are time aligned each other so that all tracks can be heard “at the same time”.

But what should gig performer do in a live situation?

I was more curious about what GP does do. When I was playing around with these latency compensation plugins (Voxengo Latency Delay) as soon as I connected it to an output port (nothing connected to its input) then the entire rackspace had a huge latency. So GP must be using its reported latency (but I know nothing!).
If I had a plugin that resulted in an unplayable latency then I wouldn’t use it. The EchoBoy example was a tiny one, and I guess I just wasn’t expecting that to occur or that adding a plugin to introduce a delay to the main path would bring them into alignment.

Latency compensation in live situations is not easy to implement, I think it is impossible.

It doesn’t do anything — there’s no point! If you think about it, the point of latency compensation is to allow plugins that need more “time” to produce output to be aligned properly in “time”. This is done by delaying the output of other plugins. In a recording/mixing situation, this is not an issue as a DAW can look ahead at what’s coming later.

Can’t do that in real-time, there is no “later”!

1 Like

I thought I was going crazy (brain latency) because I couldn’t replicate my issue today. But I have figured it out. There is something different between the EchoBoy AU and VST versions.

In this simple example, if I use the VST version of EchoBoy, everything sounds fine - the direct output from S-Gear to the mixer combines perfectly with the output from EchoBoy.

However if I use the AU version, I get the phase issue I mentioned previously. So my solution is to use the VST version.

Cool…maybe reach out to soundtoys for an explanation