Pink Floyd sounds for tribute band

In case you have not yet seen this WebPage:

Richard-Wright-GEAR-list-WIP.pdf

1 Like

and a more detailed webpage about his gear :

WrightGear-rev156.pdf

1 Like

I think the best way to hear them both (and IMO they are very distinctive, more overtones) is to listen to Supertramp. They used Rhodes in a few places but were mostly Wurly.

Really, I thought they exclusively used Wurly ? We play “Goodbye Stranger”, I hope I don’t need to change for a Rhodes… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I always cite Supertramp, and The Logical Song in particular, as the definitive use of a Wurli.

Listen to “Hide in your Shell” from Crime of the Century. I’m pretty sure they’re using both in that one….you can hear the Rhodes ringing out a bit.

I found out the A200 sounds of my Native Instruments Kontakt seem to use only 5 octaves while the rhodes (Mark 1) supports 88 keys, which is quite a no-go as I play it on an 88 keyboard, and I hate pressing keys which stop sounding (not having a notification via LEDs). In that case I prefer just using a rhodes. Luckily I’m not playing in a tribute band, so we don’t have (or even want) to have 100% equality as the original songs.

As I know the original Wurlitzer has only a range of 5 octaves…
So what is the issue with A200?

You are right, I didn’t hear much the studio version, in the live they use exclusively a Wurly, but you are right in the studio version of “Hide in your shell”, they use both.

The issue is that I prefer to play piano sounds on an 88 key piano keyboard, and so there are 88 - 61 = 27 notes inaudible, which when I press those, I don’t hear them. When improvising on a 5 octave keyboard, you will not hit e.g. a high D, but on a 88 keyboard you can, and don’t hear a note, which is quite annoying.

Understand, but when you use a Wurlitzer plugin you should be aware that the Wurlitzer only has about 5 Octaves.
Same as a Mellotron, I think it only has 3 Octaves.

Yes, I understand that is the ‘real’ instrument and playing it on a bigger (more octaves) instrument either then causes inaccuracies to the sound or inaudible sounds.

When I ever find the time I should maybe pick up my Arduino project again to connect LED strips to my keyboards to show the key splits again :slight_smile:

I do not need such LED, I know my splits and my plugins.

1 Like

Me too but sometimes I use ‘templates’ and then it’s easy to have the freedom to have 88 keys available.

Actually, I just found a quite well solution, and to now overtake this post thread, I created a new post: 88 key NI Kontakt A-200 Wurlitzer

You are a fan of complex solutions, right?

1 Like

I’m a fan of flexibility :slight_smile:

When I see your solutions, do you have still time to play ?

1 Like

Actually, it will save me time, creating such ‘solution’ once I can reuse it whenever I need it.

You do a lot of scripting, right?

Trying to do only when needed (but that’s somewhat subjective). Besides, my ‘solution’ I described in the thread to prevent ‘overtaking’ this one, does not use any scripting.