88 key NI Kontakt A-200 Wurlitzer

See post: Pink Floyd sounds for tribute band - #33 by pianopaul

Some Kontakt instruments, but also many other have a limited range of keys audible, due to the physical nature of the instrument typically.

However, for example, for keyboard sounds, like a Wurlitzer which is by default a 5 octave instrument, I prefer to play it on an 88 key piano keyboard, and thus 27 keys are inaudible (88 - 5 octaves, 61).

To make sure they are still audible, inside GigPerformer, the MIDI in blocks can have modified properties to transpose and set the keyboard splits, and in Kontakt you can use the builtin transpose function.

So what I did was creating a wiring diagram like this:

Where the left part handles the lowest 15 keys, the middle part handles the default 5 octaves and the right part the highest octave (from C#).

For the MIDI in blocks, he left part has a transpose of +12, the middle part a transpose of 0 and the right part a transpose of -12.
For the Kontakt parts, the left has a transpose of -1200 cents (see below), the middle has 0 cents, and the right has +1200 cents.

Below I shows the MIDI in plugin for the left part and the NI Kontakt Plugin for the left part:

When not using Kontakt, I’m sure there are also ‘normal’ pitch shift VSTs which can be used.

88KeyA200.gig (583.2 KB)

In table form:

Left part      Middle part        Right part
MIDI In Range             C-2 .. B-1       C0 - C5           C#6 - G8
MIDI In Transpose       +12 semitones     0 semitones     -12 semitones
NI Kontakt Transpose     -1200 cents        0 cents         1200 cents

Note: I found that the higher octave was slightly too bright, the following EQ will sort of fix it:

This result in the following wiring diagram:

And the following gig file

88KeyA200.gig (583.2 KB)

Disadvantage

@pianopaul made in the link Pink Floyd sounds for tribute band - #33 by pianopaul the useful comment that it this way, it costs three times the resources, so optimizing samples is useful.

1 Like