PC Manager utility from Microsoft

In my life I’ve played a lot of dance parties and I think I pretty much know what “feel the crowd” means. But I’ve never had to decide what the next song would be while I’m playing. I always planned little series of songs that go together, kind of a sub-setlist. I think it would be better to analyze, in terms of worflow, if it is easy enough to compose a sub-setlist during short break in a musical performance, rather than coming up with some kind of patches to define the next song to play. But of course, I could be wrong. In any case I don’t see myself going through a list of songs to choose the next one, while I’m playing.

1 Like

Of course this would only make sense in Rackspace mode…
It would have the benefit that only three rackspaces were held in memory: the currently playing, the one before which is to be unloaded, and the next to come which was marked.
That way you could have access to all available rackspaces randomly, but only three at a time were actually loaded.

yeah right, but maybe while you are announcing the next song… i am not so sure either, but from what I could read so far, i thought maybe this would be something could help.

When annoucing the next song, 20 sec is probably by far enough to load the song. I am talking from chained songs during 20 min or so…

I’m not sure how this is supposed to work in practice. How would I “mark” a rackspace in the middle of a show, for example?

This would be actually a problem…

This has been an interesting discussion, and at think I have a better idea of GPs inner workings. Best practice for me I think will be to keep my sets to 20 rackspaces for concerts and have predictive turned off. For larger gig files and random selecting of songs, turn predictive on and just live with slower song loading times of up to 10 seconds. Cheers for your patience to all who have contributed.

BTW - all of this leads me back to the PC Manager and its lowering of ram at the beginning of the posting. I’m not sure that it helps GP work any better, but I would still be interested to know whether it would be useful as a general tool.

Me too, and it is to report a bug that did not exist before the use of PC Manager. This bug disappeared by restoring the system through a restore point created manually before the installation of PC Manager (a manipulation that I recommend to do systematically before the installation of a new application or an important update :wink:).

Midi Guitar by Jam Origin has 2 proprietary audio effects called Deep Expressor and Deep Harmonic EQ.
Since the installation of pc manager, they were not working anymore: they were bypassed (although there is no function to bypass them). This in standalone mode as well as in plugins.

After the restoration, everything is back to normal. It only concerned these 2 effects that I use very often, which is why I discovered this problem.

I’m not sure about attributing blame to certain apps. Windows, even though it is far better than it used to be, still does quirky things at times (at least in my experience!). The other day, I booted my computer up to find that a certain app wasn’t working properly, even though it had been just the night before when I shut the machine down. Like the previous poster I used system restore and the app started working again. I guess Windows will always be Windows.