Patch Persist issue with GP 3.5

As showed in this clip https://youtu.be/CSiJkzlWvOA something is bothering me with Patch Persist.

• I’ve turned off Patch Persist in Rackspace “12 Staccato Strings + Pads”.
  • I play the pads, which itself have a long release time.
  • I switch to another rackspace.
  • I go back to Rackspace “12 Staccato Strings + Pads”, and the release time continues. It seems like the pads are paused when switching rackspace, and continues to play when switched back.

The pads are from Omnisphere, but the issue remains with Kontakt as well.

Help! What am I doing wrong?

Can you Check Audio tail lenth ?

As you can see in the video, it’s set to zero.

If I hold a note on the keyboard and then switch Rackspace, Patch Persist works as intended. But if I release the key, and the audio in the patch still rings (due to long release time in the patch), and then switch rackspace, the long audio release gets cut off.

But when I switch back, the long release continues to play.

I think all notes off Message is Sent to all Plugins of a rackspace when it is activated.
This would explain why you can Hear the Release Phase of your Sound.

I released the key (and note off being sent to Omnisphere) before switching rackspace, in the videoclip. Since the release time in Omnisphere is set to being long, the release kind of gets paused in time when I switch rackspace, and continues when I return to Omnisphere.

Ok,

you could try to use the panic function in the on activate event in scripting

Here’s another example, that I’ve made, of what I mean. Tail length is 0 seconds and patch persist is set to off. When I hit the panic button, the decay still rings and so making a Panic reset at patch change probably wouldn’t help.

Yes - this is also an issue with some other plugins - in particular with delay/reverb plugins.
What you can try is actually INCREASE the Tail length in that patch. It may allow the plugin to “clear” it’s buffers.

The source of this problem is that some plugin makers do not react to a sort of a “reset” message and do not clear their internal audio buffers when we tell the plugin to reset. Later, when you come back to that rackspace - the plugin simply continues where it left off completely disregarding the commands.

If this is still a problem - you could contact the plugin makers and ask them to fix this and update the plugin. Many plugin makers do not often think about their plugins being used live so sometimes they simply forget to implement something.

Hope this helps.

Hm, the harp in my video above IS from Kontakt and is, apparently, not working as advertised. It’s the latest version 6. Am I perhaps missing some setting in Kontakt?

Did you set the audio tail length to 0 seconds

Yup. That I did.

@edm11
Now I tested with Main Stage.
There is no option to set something like audio tail length!
Means that for example the reverb can still be heard when you switch a patch and remains when you switch back.
So who is now responsible for fixing what?

I also tested in Mainstage. This happened when I set “Instantly Silence Previous Patch”: https://youtu.be/QvRkKf_dTr8

It would’ve been nice if the same could happen in Gig Performer. Just a wish :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you set “Instantly silence previous patch” in MS - it is equivalent of setting the “Audio tail Length” to 0 in GP.

If you do this - the effect with the plugins you mentioned (Blue 3 for example) is exactly the same. When you get back to the “patch” the sound continues to play. There is no difference in functionality.

If you INCREASE the tail length - you will allow the plugin to purge it’s buffers which may result in better behaviour.

I faced the same issue with VB 3 II and with the help of @dhj I wrote an E-Mail to the developer.
He confirmed, that this is an issue with the plugin and not Gig Performer.
He will fix it in the next update.

By the way: There are some more plugins which face the same Issue
For Example Eventide Blackhole, Repeater from Slate Digital, Reverb Classics from Slate Digital,
ANA 2 from Slate Digital, Adaptiverb from Zynaptiq etc.

I contacted them all, will see when they fix it.

3 Likes