OSC - newbie needs help

Hi!

I use Windows 10 and would wish I could make a few important widget parameters visible on my Android device. As I understood it, is this possible with OSC?

But how exactly does that work? I can’t find any understandable instructions anywhere.

How do I build a network between PC and Android? Do I need additional hardware? (e.g. Router). Do I need additional software on the PC? On the Android mobile phone?

I would be happy if someone would have the patience to explain this to me, or if someone has a tip where I can read about it.

Thank you!

You do have to have some kind of network to which both your devices can connect. You can use an adhoc network if your environment supports it (perhaps this for Windows) or you can use a router, which is the way I do it.
As for making idgets appear automatically, that requires a control surface that supports scripting. I use an app called Lemur for this. Lemur is available for both iPad and Android and there is a sample (unsupported) Lemur Script for Gig Performer available on our site which can serve as an example.

1 Like

One more stupid question:
Is it correct that I can’t use OSC without a router, only with a USB connection between Windows10 and Android devices?

OSC needs some kind of network connection between the devices. Android supports USB tethering, which establishes such a connection.

So you could turn that on, find both of the devices IP addresses via the windows network settings and try if you can get OSC working…

Hmmm, I don’t know anything about Android tethering but unless there’s a DHCP server running somewhere, you’re not going to get IP addresses automatically and you would have to set them manually (I’m assuming you do not want to be connected to the internet for this activity)

At the least, WiFi Tethering includes a DHCP server (with fairly predictable rules for address assignment running on the mobile device) - But I have never tried USB tethering and do not have any Android device at the moment, so I cannot check.

Seems that on any Android device released in the last few years, you can just connect it via Ethernet and an OTG adapter. Pretty sure that this comes with less problems than USB tethering :smiley:

Thank you so much so far!
I connected the Android phone to the PC. USB tethering activated on Android. Windows has detected and established a new Ethernet connection. And now? Which address to where? Port?

For testing I installed the free app “OSC Controller” by Adam Katz. I gave a widget button the name “test” and activated OSC. I added “/test” to a fader in the app.

The network settings seem fine to me. is the OSC path field in the app actually empty (and /oscControl just a phantom, default value) or does it actually say /oscControl?

On the picture it’s empty. /oscControl was the default value.

Which app? Where did you do this?

“OSC Controller” by Adam Katz

All the ports and IP address are correct?

hmm… now I’m really frustrated. :disappointed_relieved:

OK — what I don’t understand is what you are expecting to happen in Gig Performer when you send an OSC message called /test

Gig Performer won’t know what to do with that (unless you’re receiving messages with GP Script of course)

Select a widget in Gig Performer and give it the OSC name

test

and then try moving the slider on your Android device.

Please note however that while our documentation does explain how to set up the IP addresses and we provide templates for Lemur and TouchOSC, we’re not in a position to provide generic OSC support for an arbitrary device.

Trust me on this. That’s exactly what I did!

Yeah! :champagne: With TouchOSC it works. Thank you all for your help!

So what did you do that ultimately made it work?

The problem was simply that it didn’t work with any of the free OSC apps I wanted to try out. With “TouchOSC” it worked right away. I’d rather have “Liine Lemur”. Unfortunately, the app is not available in the google playstore (in germany), and the support hasn’t contacted me yet.

Here again for all the way how it worked:

• Connect Android mobile phone to PC via USB
  • Enable USB tethering in Android settings
  • Windows: Allow the newly found network connection
  • Windows: Open the network settings of the Ethernet connection found (on the right in the example picture).
  • Enter the “IPv4-DNS-Server” IP in the “Remote client IP address” of the GigPerformer OSC settings.
  • Open the OSC settings in the Android App “TouchOSC” (in the middle of the example image).
  • Put it in there:
    Host -> one of the “Gig Performer IP addresses”
    Port (outgoing) -> “Gig Performer listining port”
    Port (incoming) -> GigPerformer "Remote client port

Important: If this is the first time you have checked off “enable OSC” in Gig Performer, you will need to close and reopen Gig Performer, and possibly allow network access through the Windows firewall.

You should be referring to the IP of the remote device…not to DNS…it just happens to be the case that your remote device is also being a dns server, but that doesn’t have to be the case

I suspect that the problem is simply that your free apps haven’t been configured to respond to the specific messages that GP is sending out

For example, if you gave a knob in GP the name “test” then when you turn the knob, it will actually send out messages like

/test/SetValue 0.23

where that decimal value represents the widget value between 0 and 1

Your remote app has to recognize that complete address