OSC Monitor

I am diving deep into OSC and Lemur and would love to know what people are using to monitor OSC messages on the network! I am running Windows 10, and I have Live 10 Suite so Max4Live devices work for me. Ideally I would see all messages being passed between GP and Lemur.

Is there a way to build an OSC monitor using GP Script? I see functions for sending OSC messages but how about receiving?

Per the language manual available for download from our website, there exists the following callback

On OSCMessageReceived(message : OSCMessage) Matching StringConstant

that can be used to respond to specific OSC addresses. No wild cards.

I don’t know about Max4Live but using Max, it would be trivial to create a patcher that can receive OSC messages on different ports using the [udpreceive] object and then send them out again and of course sending whatever messages are received to the Max console. Then you would just proxy GP and Lemur through that patcher.

I am having some problems here with OSC… I made a simple OSC monitor in MAX on my Mac that recognizes the iPad template I built with TouchOSC…
I also tried sending data from Max to my iPad, which IS received and changes the fader…
I did however need to add the pagename of the template in front of the OSC name, like page/eq1
Max receives the messages from my iPad with the names that I gave the objects.
GP does not respond however…
Strange thing is that I copied dhj’s RackspaceName text from the example template and copied that in and my TouchOSC template does receive that name…
Any suggestions??

Robert-m-hussey, have you succeeded in monitoring your OSC yet?
I should be able to create a Windows 10 standalone application from Max to monitor…
What is it that you would want to see in the monitor?

Hey creart, I have been able to view traffic that comes in from my iPad Lemur, but when I do it breaks the connection with GP. Ideally I would be able to passively monitor the back and forth communication. Next step is to try to implement David’s suggestion to forward the messages – would I have to forward those to a different port number?

I can use Max4Live as long as Ableton is open but a standalone app would be a very useful tool. I tried using the tool that Kasper Kamperman created but it wouldn’t run on my Windows 10 system. Hmmm. I just found another tool by Frieder Weiss that may work. Hopefully those tools don’t interfere with communication. If you are able to get that working in Max I would love to know about it!

I have mostly reverse engineered the Lemur template but still have to figure out some of the handshakes that happen.

Thank you! Of course – sorry I missed it as I searched the other document…

For anyone familiar with Max, here’s my simple Max8 patcher that behaves as a proxy between two networked devices and prints the messages while retransmitting to device B whatever is received on device A and vice versa.

(Sorry - but if you’re not familiar with Max, don’t ask :slight_smile: )

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
2194.3oc6Zs0hiaCE94L+JDlB8krAI468sBkditv.susTBN1JYbWGKisxLy1
R+uWcwWj7Xm3jId1gR1xFuU2NW0Qmi9z+b2BqMzmIUVfuC7IvhE+ycKVHaRz
vh5++EV6idNNKpRNLqX598jbl0RUeLxyLY6+FY+gRPZEflCXOP.7wUbfQJAO
kxdP1xubOHJIojTUAPg3UHufUvUXrGHJOQLwrzJFIOMeGXKsDrmOtncD45UP
KYf.HD1P0rzbRL8PtjzN0MVvWZNmEwRo4qGbD4G1mlmQXRIAoIAwzLZoRK.W
EF5A8CbrQdPObn8RdSv5ePqff+rddoIR4lt4u9PnUGAnGXMT.V25lcFqumG1
2wEFF.sCwHOwRiP19XWmPHRR6QZpi1EQr3G3Zp0kjXlZcccfqbWBrs8jLpOR
7wSNIwb926tS7yxIZkyIOwErWXjK.+NIO4OnJisoUT29Lto.eLSglJ0+3pzw
U.3v.gjig1xO39ZMRYsXWK2Kr1llQdjTVw4UMlYgUTQgVyKzlhPY8WJCZvx1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.8jw9wpcGNdcA.all7Tf5PJyfF4AZ0knQBlMEBLPWgDLKJDiiJM
0G78mQweFTw+uzQUJngUJdiqTrOpRYo5uohyaOg9gmEhLNpsi5i6asBpdqbT
4tJf37.sTJbbEYTfNW0Fdb0F9jpsIpubcT5o2b+oLZTxln7cmqRw8B2fIo0T
UJM4a9FGygOPwlLhLYDNCH+y4FAxYth.g8C57XP1yiGiYIYlpmejWJESvTh5
q9LurrRBOmNdMV04DIK9ZezmEMIN6LlxSnHVbfc0Rf5vaQaL9g9.BKVmFCUh
0jcIsGWiCOtJ01WUnSsNU8oqPm2fn5IE7TiS3EChWYuxA.O2siN9WrvWehlM
RlbOBNOQrkRvnREbj7Zlq8PHUTEUgL1vleMlVyV.8bEk7WdB4YsRoLTOc0NH
bkGIOQICI5eX8VE8PYbinTGqEXxa7jf463Zqj5Ssgb5MNZYhp3TzjLkmKigl
Ji4qF3rvDNuGXhf2CLgnLfu9bwT8Vwi6sBmEFim9K.MAFKXFUNBd.OAdnwTN
KLAdhVHuQ4g5FatEIKw8DjrVc9+5HFqLcyAlJ7m90hcV0tuKitIJqNc91a1Y
fR6uqi4tNWIYubhO4EKhQCeyhMC83IAO3YxAthDRpSCtWJdekDR30VHwtxKP
z+ZHjL5tcYjoJKnf1aUNpj6YwHkqU2Ek9EBOQ4Tup3iXKQHUIds+dQx4tpmR
4TnojTEw6XtgJLwPvCOeAGOlfaTe6fRNVlVMRYaskVa62HKr+anEFEhT0Mfe
GXgeKMvHrBYnPuqfAdLT.+kbtPDSJDEVlk0Ah2FB6IBIGvdhBTWWrpxyhRtJ
qRBOXZ9VJnhB9B8.HNJGTQHfmdHh8sUfcTYEq4S1gx6rQOxS4U3opVWcMFvq
rx4mR2AtmTtkVtmbAPk53NcjRQGEoz4BGTD5c.PnH0Eeaq1Z+ZAB83vcqLDC
iQ8IcRgmuSps7zIr5djpEsqua58fRxdJi6XlkxGv2wEKzwEqqfuSvYqMbvvt
TRPtut8rm.vatNYrql9jF5yOXTsKbMT1n.3MnruAk8MnruAk8MnruAk8Mnru
Ak8MnruAk8MnruAk8MnruAk87Ak8qG5o+mfA26AvHe2hT66CfrCt85FdO8NO
loWAy+ugxVBFB3mtepWrnykdkoXGI3Wt1yAV07bJ3Djj9H4z2a7.I1aM7swM
U3+5f.azKl6HJFDT9IzeNTLJyqD3fopTruPbrrcU0vD9pjiii8gHwwNjObcr
cbl7yS3BEKu56J0cNtpeM+1yRXP3updt0.WBq8ecFzhKWZyTCUZp9w0q0Wu7
PkP8TfFIXt1AJuvjLUBYbvwTNzn2AFyJg6oELSr5hoLFMERGbETtX3Tnz0vL
hBlp57USI+oPoqAgvSfP1ygq4jnLZNbMQSXWu2KzspnM8vbTPhdXM1CmwWhw
333K1GaQYFgJPV5EgqMP5O7y+pJLZCzclxtB9v08dhBs3XqdCBKmXS5Xb2aE
gigE9lcaSyxZGqd9qMmRXsqLJIU69wrLVZr7MRHVZawipvQ8u3MgLnT8rPmh
ipGG9rW9n7c0XO5qAfVQIUjoPCHrqbaG9AFsUvTftYlkOIIUbOeWSayccqu3
wWwobe.5r1ycQRa1Bou4o0i5ieDhVe+gxhlm51vdV5vG+Is8wjLhH8JCYxww
FF3uTpsswPj3e4654DZpiMs69A3.jTX84Ib6hThcH1y2bRQww8omusKBKFum
KxSR2PTHF4ZNwdOuCTsiR2OsirhKTxqb0fJHaWrvyAU6lg4xS3HjXcZtHrA4
jjROaK9.giukCYiP13Vubbf3wDYtXsADMefRtK68aP3UX+Z6NOLzA1wWtHmP
7Q2AdZA4RiHLssr1gF07N71ml8.CtKRczvHu8i69269O.L+A2aB
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------

Thank you! Works like a champ!! And now I can see exactly how GP communicates (e.g., during Song changes). Much appreciated!

I bought Lemur yesterday - that works like a charm!! TouchOSC did not :frowning:

TouchOSC does not have script capabilities and is far less capable than Lemur. The TouchOSC people don’t seem that interested — we reached out to them a few times

I used TouchOSC on other projects before that worked, but must indeed say that Lemur has much more possibilities! Glad to have been pointed in that direction!! Looks cool!!
My template with settings for mixer, equalizer, delay, reverb and master settings for GP already works… now we can test next week sunday to do our own sound on a test using the iPad :smiley:

Yep - our FoH engineer uses an iPad to control those settings on a laptop running Gig Performer connected to the PA system so he can adjust stuff from the back of the room — Tap Tempo is also very useful there if the vocalist needs delays and you don’t know exactly at what speed the song will actually be played.

I’ve made racks per song and have all of the tempo’s settings in those song…
I’ve routed all of the audio next to 3 helix plugins for my guitar to an audiomixer with a 10 band eq plugin after that before going to the master, so we can do FoH mixing/dialing in that way
Th 3 helix plugins have different patches that I switch through variations

What kind of a band do you play in?

we have the PC version of GP running on the master PC that has the audio interface and adat connected…
the keyboardist has an apple laptop running the mac version of GP… thinking of syncing everything and also sending midi sync to the drummer who uses a Roland TD30…
Maybe even link to the bassists’ VB99… that way I could switch songs (racks) and switch everything to the proper sound…
Isn’t a computer great for these kind of things :smiley:
And I LOVE GigPerformer - SO much nicer to use than Mainstage!! Keyboardist is also VERY enthusiastic!!
THANXXXX for GREAT software!!

The band plays symhonic progressive rock…
If you want to give it a listen, go to https://whitecave.nl/

And we only play our own songs by the way…
You can actually also find us on Spotify or iTunes