Only for live vocals

So I’m looking to replace my vocal stage rig wit GigPerformer or the like, a new MacBook Pro and a UAD Volt audio interface.

The volt comes with built in 1176 like comp, but I need in particular reverb and delay added to the signal and at times a bit of chorus and saturation ala SoundToys DevilLoc etc. , perhaps a DeEsser

Of course , I need minimal latency.
What are the suggested plugs to use in conjunction with GigPerformer?

Is there a blog post or other support doc or video that may cover this ?

thanks

-Charles

You should use plugins with near 0 ms latency.
Nectar 3 from iZotope could be a universal solution.

Do these videos help?
Link: Top websites for free audio plugins - #27 by npudar

I dont’t think that latency is so critical on delay and reverb in this case.
You can set them to 100% wet and route the direct signal “around” it.

Just use Audiomixer Plugin (likely the 8ch-Version) and connect reverb out to 1-2, delay to 3-4, direct signal to 5-6, so you will here only the latency of your interface.

As plugins for vocals I highly recommend “Variety Of Sound” Nasty DLA (Delay) and ThrillseekerXTC (Saturation/Mojo), both sounding superb and absolutely FREE.
They have a plate reverb, too. Didn’t tried that out (I’m using the old but good exponential audio reverbs R2 and Phoenix) but I think it will sound great also.
Valhalla reverb is for free either…

In Gig Performer when a plugin introduces latency then all signals get this latency.
This happens with every VST Host.

OK, when internal MixPlugins also get latency then connect dry inputs directly with outputs and “only” tune the volume of the fx. But then you cannot use saturation, de-essing etc.

@pianopaul
But I didn’t understand this completely:
Maybe I route the voc-signal into a Compressor and from the Comp-Outs with two connections to the reverb and two connections directly to the output how could it be that the direct signal is influenced by the reverb?
For my understanding - lets say Comp-Plugin has latency 0 and Rev-Plugin has 400ms and I listen
to my output signal with Rev-Plugin on mute, I will still here my dry signal with 400ms latency although there is no latency to calculate?

Mmnhh…I have to search for a plugin with grat latency and try that out!

In Reaper there’s an option to ignore the reported latency of a particular plugin, if I remember it right.

But generally speaking: Yes. Latency affects the complete setup

Tried it and (as always) pianopaul is absolutely right!!

I used “Moss Equalizer” (man, that’s a really slow one!) and even direct in/out connection signal is processed with the latency.
Never noticed that (as normally the used plugins are near 0 latency).

@amiracam
So my suggestion here is dead end.
Use Plugins with zero latency (or nearly)!!

@pianopaul
In Samplitude I use Aux-paths and still can listen to the direct signal mix with the processed Audio under Aux. (and you can hear the great latency of the delaying MossEQ). Any idea how they manage this?
Maybe a future feature for GP to build such an Aux-path…

Reaper is a DAW and plugin latency compensation works,
But when you play live then with such a plugin latency compensation the sound would have to be produced before you play …

That is like the famous “Before Button pressed trigger…”

That’s not the way it works: the audio from the plugin is then simply late. And for delays that’s not always a problem

Works because a DAW is working with channel strips.

:+1: I’m not proposing GP should implement this.

I wouldn’t necessarily propose it, but maybe on the “someday” list it would be nice to have a capability like this to allow processing of separate “strips” on separate CPU cores. The same is achievable with multiple instances, though, so it would probably be more of a convenience feature than anything else.

That said, in theory GP could analyze the routing and detect that several different signal paths never interact and “automatically” split the audio processing across separate cores/threads. I believe this has been brought up before and the developers wondered whether it might create more user confusion than benefit (putting aside that it would probably be very low benefit to relatively few users and probably quite complex to implement).

1 Like

Just a little theoretical thinking of how it could be implemented: the wiring view could have multiple tabs, where each tab presents it’s own audio thread (kind of channel scripts) Of course there would be headaches: because people would want to have audio in/outs to the different tab and it will get complicated.

Having separate tabs for audio threads in a rackspace could be a neat solution if possible, and not just for this use case - seems far more elegant and easy to use than having to use multiple instances of GP.