Omnisphere slow in gp

Sorry this may have been touched on in previous posts but can someone please explain why omnisphere works so much better in ableton live than in gig performer. Omnisphere in gp for me is almost not worth using as it is has slow load times and im not sure why, yet in live it has quick and responsive load times.

I am using Omnisphere in many rackspaces and did not notice any slow performance.
What version of Omnisphere are you using?
What version of Gig Performer are you using?
There is an issue with Omnisphere VST and predictive load - Spectrasonics is aware of that and will fix that in the next update.

Im am using 2.5 atm and its a vst on windows.

I also never use predictive loading.

OK, I am using a Mac, so I cannot really compare.
Maybe it is a good idea to contact Spectrasonics Support.
They have been very helpful in solving my issue - and they know Gig Performer.

How big is your gig file?
Last month, we did find out about long loading time under Windows which come from parsing big gig files. This has nothing to do with the VST performance itself, but is only shown at gig loading time. Is this the behavior you are seeing?

@simon
Good point!

My gig file when gigging is about 16g but i have 32 g ramm but omnisphere is just a pig in gp. Im not talking about load times of anymore than 10 to 20 secs when changing patches witin the plugin itself but this to me is not acceptable. In Ableton live it is instant. My gigs run smoothly of course as each rack is loaded. I feel as if the windows gig file load times on gp startup really took a dive when gp 3 was introduced , to me something has changed as it used to be alot quicker. All my hardware is still the same. I know it probably has nothing to do with gp3 but something has slowed load times down.

So if I understand correctly, you have two problems:

1. Long loading time: There are two things that are done during that phase. First, the gig file has to be parsed (GP goes through the gigfile and reconstructs the settings in your rackspaces, including the internal states of plugins which for GP are just (big) binary blobs). With the current version of GP, this tends to take a long time on Windows. That is the problem I was referring to. The second thing happening is that GP loads up the plugin by passing the binary data representing the state to it. My guess is that GP just waits for the plugin to load during that time (@djogon @dhj correct me if I’m wrong).
  2. Long time to switch between presets IN Omnisphere: This probably correlates to the second component I mentioned for loading time.
    I have no idea where this problem could come from… But I suppose we can investigate further.

A couple of suggestions:

• Check out the performance tab of the Windows task manager during an Omni patch change to identify potential bottlenecks (e.g. SSD at 100%, CPU more or less idling)
  • Do you also experience worse performance after loading? (crackling etc.)
  • Can you reproduce the problem with gigs containing just a single Omnisphere instance?
  • Can you measure a significant difference when using older versions of GP?
  • Does the problem occur with the current version of Omnisphere?

@onkeyz

I’m not sure what all you have going on it your gig file, but 16GB seems excessively large. While I don’t use Omnisphere in GP, I use dozens of other plugins and have about 65 rackspaces now. I am using GP on Windows. My gig file is still under 200MB and I have some pretty complex rackspaces.

Are you using GP to truly store the ‘state’ of a preset for one or more plugins rather than saving the presets from within the plugin so that all GP is responsible for is changing to that plugin? Dependent on the particular plugins you do this with, it could certainly cause significant gig file bloat. That could lead to your performance issues.

X

Yeah well i am using big sample libraries on nearly every rackspace i also prob have more than 60 rackspaces, you are obviously using non sample libraries. What are your main plugins u use

I actually use multiple instances of Kontakt across multiple rackspaces and a couple of instances of sampletank as well. The size of my gig file is not impacted by the samples I load. I also use various Reaktor instruments (which load samples as well).

I also use about half of Arturia V-Collection, SynthMaster, SynthMaster One, VB3, OPX-II and a few other odds and ends.

X

All im am saying is that i have no performance issues what so ever in gig performer except for longer load times now since gp3 and omnisphere performs better for me in ableton live

Interesting i use Ivory 2 amd as my piano in 90 percent of all racks, omnisphere, in 70% of all rackspaces, kontakt with stuff like session horns in 60%, clavs etc in nearly all rackspaces. Hell just one sound is prob over 200mb. I have to have a look

I also never use predictive loading

I just got back home and checked my ram usage for a gig normally and it sits aroung 6 to 7 gig on avg but if i load all my racks it is up there around 16gig. Sorry for the mix up

Onkeyz, just the opposite with me Osphere is crap in Ableton lite vs GP, I have 15 instances of Osphere and loads no prob with 10% cpu ; …in Ableton 1 instance drives cpu to 50% and crackled like heck ,look elsewhere for the prob,

Interesting i dont have any cpu problems with omnisphere in either gp or ableton but i have ableton suite not that that makes a difference. In my rig omnisphere is just quicker at patch changes within the plugin as compared with gp. Cpu is no prob in both

Have you tried observing the resource usage in the task manager?

I see, perhaps the cheap lite version sucks of Ableton …, when u say patch changes , is that O in standalone or in Gp instances ?