Omni midi out

Why is there an Omni midi input, but no Omni midi output?

It would be really useful. When I use a different audio interface, I can remap the midi outs, but there would be no need with an “Omni” option.

OMNI Out would mean . Send out to all available MIDI Interfaces.
Does that make sense?

I think a Rig Manager for MIDI Outputs would be the better solution

2 Likes

All my midi devices are on different midi channels, and I have multiple output devices. I currently have multiple outs in my Gig4 wiring schemes sending program changes. Sometimes I don’t have enough USB ports on my laptop, so sometimes I can’t hook my Helix up to the laptop via USB and have to send program changes to it instead from my audio interface midi out.

Right now for every rack space, I have two program change outs. One for Helix and one for my Audio interface. When I don’t have enough USB ports available, I hook a midi cable to my audio interface and control the Helix that way. Other times, if I have enough USB ports I can hook the Helix up direct. My gig rackspaces have to be ready at a moment’s notice to allow for both situations. Be nice to have an OMNI out so I don’t have to setup two midi outs every time. Sometimes tight band change over stage timing doesn’t allow for rewiring or rig option changing.

I agree, Rig Manager is a very clever abstraction tool that solves many problems when changing controller or controller wiring while keeping the same GP computer. It started probably from some Devs use cases, but it shouldn’t limited to and at a time it could be valuable to extend the possibilities a bit. And as GP is continuously enhanced. Hope there is! :innocent:

Just an Idea:
For Example one could use Max/Msp which would provide a virtual MIDI Out for Gig Performer.
So in Gig Performer you would send to that MIDI Out and outside of Gig Performer you could change settings in Max/Msp for the different physical MIDI Devices available.

I do not know what different solutions exist, but I think that would be the most flexible way to do that.

You could use virtual MIDI channels to add an abstraction layer to your setup: one virtual channel per MIDI out you want to reach. Each virtual MIDI out would send the MIDI messages to virtual MIDI in in the Global Rackspace. In the Global Rackspace you could have your different physical MIDI out devices pre-wired and activate/deactivate them globally from there according to the configuration you need.

1 Like

You can also save the multiple midi ports and their settings as a Favorite, so it’s a simpler addition to new rackspaces.

2 Likes