Null / Passthrough Plugin?

As silly as it may seem, I am looking for a multichannel audio null passthrough plugin.

Between a 128 channel audio card and the to/from global blocks, I have need of labeling all these ins and outs, and breaking them into logical groups. I currently use mixer blocks, but this only adds a potential gain staging and mute point which I then must remember NEVER to use, even in the midst of frantic pre-show troubleshooting.

Has anyone ever seen such a beast? I suppose it’s the simplest scriptlet ever, actually… or the simplest JUCE project…

To clarify, you would use multiple of these plugins for each ‘group’ and will just rename the blocks as your way to label these groups?

No, I would want the plugin to allow 2, 4, 6, 8, or 16 channels of thru-audio. I’d label one 4-channel block “Guitars” and connect both of my stereo guitar channels. Drums would take the 16 channels of audio from Superior Drummer (Which would be in the global rackspace, thus the need for labels in the local rackspace after the ‘from global’ block.)

Extra points if there is a scribble strip within the plugin editing window, and if those entries show when hovering over an input / output node in the wiring window!

Just use a GPScript to reset all the parameters whenever you activate a rackspace. Then even if you change stuff, everything will get reset back

The trouble isn’t really how to correct it once it has been changed. The trouble is spending time chasing a red herring while troubleshooting.

Yeah, I kind of had the same question about being easily able to determine the state of the big audio mixer blocks, by @dhj is right - if you use a script to reset all desired audio mixer blocks to whatever state you want, whether global or per rackspace, that is pretty reliable, especially when you get some confidence of just how reliable these types of scripts are. BTW - I built some panels to show the status of the audio mixers - very, very tedious and exceptional effort. Even when you find the change, you still have to correct whatever. Auto reset to a known state is much better IMHO.

Not sure whether we’re on the same page here or not. My issue isn’t with saving and recalling state. My issue is with being presented unnecessary on-screen complexity (Mixer mutes and levels) while troubleshooting or configuring large wiring projects… simply because I included unnecessary mixers for the sake of visible labels and logical groupings of wires.

Could be I missed the point. I was using the Gain Control blocks to mange individual or group inputs. Messy. Then I tried using Audio Mixer controls which was more organized for me and I could change the name(s) on the block, but I couldn’t tell what was going on in the block because the state is not shown visually on the control. So then I went and built the panels and so on. See the screenshots below as a visual of what I wrote. Maybe I missed the point! I do that frequently. Using the Gain Controls in the first picture, Audio Mixer in the second (which I then used in the global rackspace), etc. I guess if you just wanted a ‘Null’ block, use the simplest control and set it to ‘Bypass’ That lets you edit the label but the control does zippo. Same thing works for the Audio Control Blocks. See shot 3 and 4.

2 Likes

Great option!

2 Likes

That is a good option @CruiseCycle. Not only is it then a true ‘thru’ block… the red highlighting is an excellent reminder to leave it alone.

1 Like

Yep. You can tell just looking at it that it’s bypassed; it uses zero resources, the width is configurable to 32 channels which can then be pushed even wider when editing. About as good as it’s going to get for this.

So much better. Thank you!

4 Likes

That really looks nice!

2 Likes

Thank You!

It has been a very long time coming. Very little left now to add to the global side (I think.)

1 Like

I challenge someone to achieve that routing in a DAW!

6 Likes

That, old friend, is why I sought out GP in the first place. As far as I’m concerned it is the only means to the end I’m seeking. (Plus, it is awesome in general.)

5 Likes

@rank13 @celoranta Isn’t that the absolute truth! It is one impressive example of what can be done - and the dedication that went into doing it.

2 Likes