Newbie trying out GP instead of MainStage - How to use like this?

Remember that if you are about to use rackspace variations that those only store the value of the widgets on your panel - nothing more! So any changes of a plugin parameter which isn’t mirrored as a widget on your panel won’t be saved by a variation!

Yes that makes sense, actually that works in my favour because any settings for things like eq that are set in a preset, I might not want to expose to the front end and have them changed as I want them to stay as they are. So only loading and resetting the parameters mapped to those widgets on the panels is actually what I want.

So I’ve got it working, switching between rackspaces resets the values to where I want them to be each time. But this only seems to work when switching rack spaces. If I switch between variations, any changes I made to a variation persists when reloading that variation. Is there a way to have a variation reset to specific values when loading or is that only possible on rackspaces?

Have a look at the little picture above and try “Ignore variations”!

I tried that but the settings still are maintained between variations. So if I have a variation of an amp with a foot switch, but the foot switch if off by default, if I turn it on, when I go to a different variation, and then back again, I’d expect it to have reset to off, but it doesn’t. It only does it if I switch to a new rackspace and then back again

Ah… sorry, it was a mistake. “Ignore variations” does actually a diffrent job. :grimacing:

There is no setting to ''Reset on variation". However…
once you get to Setlist/Song mode :slight_smile:, when you switch between song parts (which are mapped to a variation), the widgets will reset back to the original values.

Well I tried to have a quick play with setlist and the variations didn’t respond as I expected, but that’s ok, I’ll have to rethink my workflow. It’s good enough to get me going anyway, and I’ve just requested a refund for my MainStage purchase so I can but GP asap!

Couple other questions, and I’m sorry is this is covered in the manual but I did look

1. Can I put buttons on my panels to switch between rack spaces (next/previous etc)? Clicking them on the left is ok, but when using a touchscreen, it’s a little small.

2. Is there any advice for vocal processing in GP? I tested out a mic into interface and directly wired to the output and it sounds ok, but could be a lot better. But I did notice what seems to be a very minute latency issue, even though the in and out are showing 0 latency, and it doesn’t seem to affect the guitar. It could be my ears though…!

1 Like

Yes, that is possible

But for that I would use a MIDI Controller and map it in the global MIDI options.

You can put two large buttons in the Global rackspace for Next/Previous. See the Bonus section in this article.

Alternatively, you can try this extension: LINK
This article covers available extensions.

Perhaps something from this link?

A small teaser: tomorrow will be published something on the Gig Performer’s YouTube channel regarding the vocal processing. Stay Tuned.

1 Like

What is your sample rate and buffer size?

Sorry, I had to wait 5 hours as a newbie to be allowed to post again! Thank you to @dhj for upgrading me!

Ok great news. This link helped a lot, I tried putting it on the global rack space but due to how the global one is visible, it did t look right so I’ve had to add the buttons to each rack. Unless there’s a way to display the global rackspace pinned to the top?

So on the midi controller, a Morningstar is high on my buy list, I just want to get it all sorted before I spend more money. Some buttons for now would do the job and it sounds like doing that is possible.

Intrigued about this!

In terms of latency, my settings were 44.1/512, giving me a round trip latency of 28, so I realised this wasn’t needed to be like this so changed to 48/128 and got round trip down to 8ms which is more than acceptable I think and not noticeable now

Still very basic but I’m getting there slowly!

3 Likes

Currently it can be showed at the bottom only.

I’d go down to 44.1/128 for a slight improvement in latency. The audible difference live is imperceptible between 44.1 and 48.

Ok I’ll give that a go, but 8ms I’m quite happy with, but will see how far down I can get it

You mean increase in latency?

Right, my mistake. A small improvement in CPU performance with minimal latency gain.

1 Like

Why would I get an increase in latency if I’m taking the sample rate down?

The lower the sample rate, the fewer measurements per second are taken. This increases latency, decreases CPU usage. Ignore my first comment. If you’re satisfied with your round trip latency and CPU usage, then no need to change a thing. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah I see. So I am seeing 14% average cpu usage with 48/128 so I don’t see a particular reason to change it really?

1 Like

Here it is: Rebel Yell, Vocal Effects, and Gig Performer Maintenance