Newbie to Gig Performer

Hello All,

I have played out live for 25+ years with MIDI backing tracks and am very good at MIDI programming.
I would use my laptop, rack of gear and play guitar and vocals live. I ran ALL my pogramming through my MIDI files…vocal EFX, guitar EFX and lighting for my live shows and it has worked great all those years. But… it is time to modernize.

I have just purchased GP 4.5 and am trying to setup my MIDI files for live performance. I don’t understand all the “lingo” yet, but am learming rapdly. I am struggling with a few things. Audio Player works fine, no issues, MIDI player is much more involved. Please be patient, I have only been playing with this 3 or 4 days.

I have figured out how to load an play my MIDI files through the MIDI player, but it is not very effiecient for me. So here are my questions.

1. I set my player up in Global rack - MIDI and Audio. Do I need to build seperate Rackspaces for each song and send them to the Globals rack?
  2. Trying to set up all my MIDI tracks is challenging because of space, can I use multiple racks and link them together and send that to the global rack?
  3. I would set up my “live” guitar rig, all the EFX, etc and swithc different padeals on-off with CC in a MIDI track in my song, that way I only build one guitar rack with all my EFX once. Is that how you guys would do this.
  4. For lighting, I have to send MIDI outside the box to my DMX interface…any suggestions? I use an 8 port MIDI interface live and in my studio.
  5. I use several different channel strips (VSTs) but all of them seem to introduce clicks in the audio interface, have any of you encountered this? I have to set the buffers so far up that my guitar has very noticable lag.

I am sure this is all in the documentation, but I am just not fluent enough yet with GP “language” to know if I have found it or not. Sorry this is so long, but I really am initerested in GP and I think it can do everything I need… if I can find it.

Thanks all, have a wonderful day.

Jeff

As long as you do not further processing in the global rackspace you can send audio to the physical out in the local rackspace

I think with racks you mean rackspaces?
What do you mean by link?
There is only 1 rackspace active at a time, you cannot use rackspaces in parallel.
Keep in mind: a rackspace is NOT a channelstrip.

What VST are you using which face this issue?

You can use the MIDI File Player and route it to your physical MIDI Interface

Hi pianopaul,

Yes, racks is rackspaces. So if only 1 rackspace is available at a time, I need my MIDI file, guitar rig, vocal EFX and lighting control ALL in one rackspace? I don’t think there is room for that.

Can I have variations in a rackspace that will link… I don’t know if that is correct terminology… but I need multiple spaces to talk to each other, all of them need to talk to the global rackspace. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks pianopaul

I have Waves SSL consoles, Scheps Omni, Plugi Alliance SSL consoles, Neve, Focusrite and Amek. I tried all of them and had the same issue.

What samplerate and buffer size are you using?
I am using Amek und Focusrite and Plugin Alliance SSL without the issue you describe.
Are you on Mac?

Why not use different rackspaces for different songs?

No, I have Windows 11, SSD drives with 64gb ram in my studio where I do all my MIDI work. Right now it is set at 96 samples (2.2 ms) and it still cracks a little. If I just mix everything dowmn to .wav files, I don’t know how to control lights and switch things through my file…but the wav. sounds very nice.

Sorry … sample rate is 44100

Are you using a multi client Asio driver?
How looks your CPU usage in Gig Performer?
Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-23 um 19.48.03

The highest I have seem it was 24%. I use Asio (not Asio4you), as it works very well for my DAW. I have a Focusrite 8i6 interface.

Is Gig Performer the only program running that uses the audio interface?

When I am working on Gig Performer, yes. I close it down to work in my DAW. My windows sounds comes through my Focusrite, mot sure if that hits my Asio though.

When you raise up the buffer size - I know latency - do the audio glitch still occur?
How looks your wiring view?

This is one I am working on. No, when i set my buffer size higher, it stops, but the latency really becomes a major problem then.

OK, maybe you should think about rendering and using the wav in the audio file player.

Yes, that is much easier, but, can I still use midi to run lighting, voc EFX and guitar EFX in real time with that.

Just being curious… what happens with the crackle if you’d bypass/disable all the midi monitors?
I know i.e. that making excessive use of the log window can slow things down. Maybe this lot of midi monitors is about to cause some havoc too… just an idea, might be worth trying.