Newbie Question - Creating Master Transpose Widget

I have a rack space that is using one MIDI Keyboard split 3 ways to accommodate 3 plugins. I’ve used 3 separate MIDI IN blocks, each transposed differently and assigned to 3 different areas of the keyboard, one for each plugin. I’m trying to assign a master transpose widget that will alter all 3 MIDI IN transpose levels equally. My issue is that when I create individual transpose widgets for each of the 3 IN blocks & then assign them to the same group, they then change their levels to be identical to each other. For example IN 1 should be at -34, IN 2 should be at 12 & IN 3 should be at -24. When I put them in the same group, they all change to the same level. I’m looking to keep the 3 INs at their individual settings and be able to tweek them all at the same time up or down if there’s a key change. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 Like

Is there a reason you can’t just use the Global Transpose? Set your three MIDI In Blocks to their initial values and then just adjust the global transpose?

screenshot_730

It won’t work. It’s for Constant Cravings by KD Lang. I have an Accordian on the lowermost octave, Piano thru most of the center octaves and marimba on the uppermost octave. Each one of these needs it’s own transpose level in order to work. It’s a split keyboard setup.

I don’t understand. I assumed that you wanted to keep the relative transposes the same. I.e, if your blocks have

-34, 12 and -24

you would want all of those to be adjusted by the same number of semitones. Is that not the case?

In other words, if you set the global transpose to 2, then the effect on those MIDI blocks would be an effective increase to -32, 14, and -22 respectively

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong: there is no way to assign directly a widget to global transpose?
As I looked for global transpose, I have found it in the list of functions, so widget association can be done using a script?

Correct — it can be done using a very trivial script (see attached) but it’s not obvious to me that the OP even needs that. I’m still trying to understand why he can’t just adjust the global transpose.

RelativeTranspose.gig (5.7 KB)

1 Like

Indeed, it is really trivial… for you :grimacing:

Maybe he has gone to bed before reading your post…

Personally, this script could be useful, as I am a guitarist and cannot play the keyboards… but for all major or all minor chords only!

It will be easier and faster for me to play it with Midi Guitar and no transpositions at all :slightly_smiling_face:

First off, thanks for all the replies. I misunderstood you @dhj. I believe you’re correct about the global transpose working the way I need. I’d like to map the global transpose to a controller. I’m trying to avoid using the mouse at all when performing. Would your script work for that? Is there any instructions on how to install scripts? Sorry for all the questions.

For my understanding, you want to use an external controller to set the global transpose?

Yes, if possible

Gimme some minutes :wink:

1 Like

It works fine for me using dhj’s script and assigning an expression pedal to the widget by midi learn.

1 Like

here is a script from @dhj

The one I posted changes the global transpose, only between -12 and 12. He doesn’t want to change the midi in blocks

It would be very useful to insert Global Transpose into the Global Midi Assignments options!! Next update :pray:

What would be the use case for that?
When you need it to be controlled by your Midi Controller, then you have to use is for some songs.
Why not set the transpose in your MIDI In plugins?

I have a similar example, with many MIDI IN:

If one song needs to transpose +1 and then return, with a midi assignement will be very useful. Furthermore, if the singer asks me transpose a song at this moment, i can do it whitout use de mouse.

1 Like

OK, understand (you should think about another singer :wink: )
Be careful with a controller attached to that function.
Some controller could send CC messages automatically (like my Expression Pedal from Moog - only small different value, but it does).
For example the MOD-Wheel on you keyboard could be influenced by your hard playing and could
be moved and then send a CC message and your transpose is changed.
When that happens, you are the looser of then band …

For this reasons I would never attach a controller to global transpose.

1 Like

This is what I need. How do I import this into my existing gig?

OK. I figured it all out. It works like I need it to. Thanks to @dhj for the script & everyone for the feedback. Stay safe out there.