Need opinion on new laptop purchase

Hi everyone
So I’ve been hovering around this forum for months and am finally trying move forward by purchasing a new laptop. There is a Dell I’m looking at with these specs:

Inspiron 15 Laptop
Inspiron 15, 5510
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11390H (12 MB cache, 4 cores, 8 threads, up to 5.00 GHz Turbo)
Windows 11 Home, English
Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3200 MHz
512 GB, M.2, PCIe NVMe, SSD
15.6", FHD 1920x1080, 60Hz, Non-Touch, AG, WVA, LED-Backlit, Narrow Border
Wireless
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 2x2 (Gig+) and Bluetooth 5.1
Battery–4 Cell, 54 Wh, integrated
Titan Grey Backlit Keyboard,
65 Watt AC Adapter
Wireless Driver for 9462/AX2XX
1 USB 2.0
1Audio jack
1 HDMI 1.4
2 USB 3.2

I was thinking of adding a 2TB external drive (?)

So would this provide enough horsepower to run a live Gig Performer setup?
Just wondering what some of you think

Thanks
Ed

That depends on your needs :slight_smile:

• What instrument you play?
  • What plugins do you use (or plan to use)?
  • Do you prefer complex routings or simples setups?
  • Do you use lots of samples?
4 Likes

I have a Dell G15 5511 for a few months now which is perfect for my needs - which may not be the case for someone else as said Nemanja @npudar, but above all it fit into my budget

15,6" FHD, i7-11800H, 16Go DDR4 3200MHz, SSD M.2 1TB, NVIDIA RTX3060 6Go GDDR6, 2x USB 3.2 Gen1, 1xUSB 3.2 Gen2, 1 thunderbolt 3, backlit keyboard.

Tip: by going through a contact of a sales engineer I got a 25% discount :wink:
Thanks to this, I was able to add a second internal M.2 1TB SSD in it and some plugins in GP :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

To respond to npudar:

I play piano/keyboards
I hope to use Reason as my main source of instruments and effects
Simple setups for now
I don’t use samples that much

I am a newcomer to Gig Performer and I really want to get the right tools
needed for a live setup I have a Roland FA08 and a Korg micro. I also own a MOTU M4 and am considering a newer keyboard to replace the Korg…
All that said I feel getting the right laptop is important, although I’m trying to keep this “around” $1000…
FWIW I do not want to buy any Apple products

could you explain with a little more detail how you got that discount? Your computer sounds pretty nice…

I started by contacting Dell’s sales department to get very precise technical information about my needs and after a few exchanges by email and then online, I was put in touch by phone with a sales advisor.
He seemed to be impressed by the precision of my questions and by the explanations concerning the future use of this computer. I even gave him a quick “training” on Gig Performer. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
As he did not have enough technical knowledge to answer my questions, he referred me to a technician who was able to confirm my choice.
Once again I was in contact with the sales advisor, who asked me what budget I could put into a computer and I indicated a figure much lower than what I was planning to put in. He then made me a proposal that was in fact a 22% discount ( I just pulled out the invoice to calculate it precisely).
I paid 1400 € for it.

1 Like

Guess I might need to step up a little to get your specs, but I think I’ll try to call the sales rep and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply :wink:

I think that you’ll be fine with this configuration, based on your reply. My strongest configuration has 16 GB of RAM (I use Gig Performer even on a laptop with 4 GB of RAM and Core2duo).

1 Like

I was the first to be surprised when I found out that Dell could discount the prices on their site by negotiating with someone.

If you tell them your budget is 800€, with a bit of luck you should get a 1200€ machine for under 1000€.
The key to success is to convey your passion and your desire for the best equipment :wink:

Even for this price range, you will have a very efficient and above all reliable and solid machine.

2 Likes