Multitrack Playback Live With A Setlist

Working through and learning as I go …

I am trying to use a Rackspace per song. Plugins and multitrack playback in the Rackspace. I have midi mapped the master playback to a pad on my keyboard. The problem that I have , is that the playback button doesn’t turn off when the backing track is finished (unlike inside the plugin window). I want to be able to play a song/rackspace and have it automatically stop when finished … then pick another song/rackspace and hit the play pad on my keyboard to start it.

The way things are working at present… when a song finishes, as soon as i scroll, rackspaces start playing. I could hit stop and then scroll and then play again, but that is a bit awkward in a gig situation.

1 Like

Hi, I think you are talented :wink:

This is pretty easy with a small GP Script in the active rackspace:

On Deactivate
EnablePlayhead(false);
end

As soon as you switch to another rack space the global play is stopped,
because this is called when you move away from the rackspace

1 Like

Cheers Pianopaul . I’ll try that … i’ll be honest, the GP Script scares me a little :slight_smile:

While that will work fine (and don’t be scared😀) I am wondering whether it would make sense to have an option in a rackspace to automatically stop playhead when you switch away from a rackspace

1 Like

I like that idea very much :+1:

That option would be great David :metal: There is a plugin for Ableton Live called “Follow” that allows songs to run into each other or stop or even skip to a specific song after finishing playing a song. Some of Follow’s options would be cool for Setlists in GP

I know that plugin, have used that.
That all is possible with the use of the audioplayer and some scripting :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s good to know pianopaul :metal: Have no clue how to write a script but would like to learn. I need to learn from the start … any resources that I could read to help me learn ?

Are you on Mac or on Windows?

I’m on both. Use PC at home for editing etc and have MacBook Pro for live use

Do you have IAC driver active on Mac?

The following is “bare bones”, as to other ideas to start with… I don’t know.
https://community.gigperformer.com/t/updated-language-docs/768?u=keyman

hi,
I had the same question, so thanks for asking and finding a solution!

I work in the same way using a rackspace per song. That way it’s possible to export the rackspaces into a repository of songs, and then import them to create .gig set lists as required. This is the same way I work with my Korg arranger.

I’ve added the script to my rackspaces for now and look forward to David’s suggestion appearing in a future update.

Cheers,
Roger

I’ll check and get back to you

@TheUntalentedOne
Here is a small script, which shows how to automate Variation changes:

var BEAT : Widget

on BeatChanged(bar : integer, beat : integer, subbeat : integer)
if beat == 16 then
SetVariation(1)
elsif beat == 32 then
SetVariation(2)
elsif beat == 48 then
SetVariation(3)
end

SetWidgetLabel(BEAT, “”+((beat)/4+1) +":"+(beat % 4 +1))
end

The TextWidget called BEAT is used to show the bar:beat
In this case the song starts with the Verse and at the 3rd beat changes the variation and als
at the 9th beat

The onBeatChanged is called at beat level, the parameters bar and subbeat cannot be used at this time.
But for this usecase the parameter beat is fine.

In my bands I use 1 rackspace for a song and a number of variations.
I also use the AudioPlayer and with only 1 rackspace for 1 song it is working fine.
And with the automation made by the above script I can concentrate on playing and do not have to take case to choose the correct sound (variation) :wink:

1 Like

Cheers pianopaul. That is basically the way I want to use GigPerformer. Now for that midi player to arrive :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am using Toontrack EZPlayer for midi, works fine.

1 Like

One more here, for THAT player !!

Yeah, I have checked out EZ Player. The midi player is not needed immediately pianopaul . I am hoping that it becomes available before I do need it… If not , I will have to purchase EZ Player

I can’t put a timeline on the availability of our midi player nor can I say much about its functionality. Historically we have tended to avoid developing plugins when they are available elsewhere (free or paid) because generally our position is that we can’t do as good a job as someone who specializes in a particular area.
However there is functionality I’d like to see that doesn’t seem to exist in available plugins hence we want to do our own.

3 Likes