Multiple NI Komplete Kontrol and Performance

Hello,

I need some advice regarding performance. I organize my songs in the way that I have one song per rackspace and use variations for the different song parts. Often I have multiple Komplete Kontrol instruments load in a single rackspace which leads to a lot of CPU load. Normally I do not bypass the instruments between variations but only block the NoteOn for the midi blocks (this way I can get some spill-over when switching song parts). Does it affect the performance whether an instrument is bypassed or if it just does not receive and MIDI events.
If it makes a difference, I could for example bypass instruments I only need for the outtro at the beginning and activate them only at the end (while disabling isntruments only needed for the intro).

Best regards
Wolfgang

The answer to that is, it depends!

A well behaved synth plugin will pretty much stop processing once it doesn’t have to produce any sound and so it doesn’t matter too much if you explicitly bypass it or not. Pianoteq is an extremely good example of this as are most of the NI instruments.

However, plugins that have effects in them (reverb, convolution, etc) often do not reduce their CPU usage even if they’re silent.

So you really have to just look at the CPU meter in GP when you’re playing vs. not playing and see what happens.

That said, unless you’re getting crackles, you shouldn’t really care whether they’re running or not.

1 Like

In my view it makes sense not to be too so rigid in how you use rackspaces.

I think if you have a rackspace variation that you used for a prior song that that has exactly what you need for a song part, why create a new rackspace? Just associate that song part with the rackspace variation. That is part of the beauty of setlist mode in my view.

Jeff

1 Like

I am just wondering because I have a rackspace with six Komplete Kontrol instances. If I do not play anything but do not bypass any of the instances, the reported CPU usage of GigPerformer ist 50-60%. If I bypass all instances the usages drops below 10%. Any explainaiten for that?

Why do you need Komplete kontrol?

1 Like

As far as I understood it does not affect performance whether I use Komplete Control or Kontakt.

It is an unneeded overhead, because Komplete controls Hosts Kontakt and Gig Performer Hosts Komplete kontrol
Maybe another forum member can answer, he used Komplete kontrol and had a lot of issues.

1 Like

Yes - bypassing means to stop doing any audio processing and if you’re not doing audio processing then you aren’t using CPU cycles for the audio processing thread!

3 Likes

There’s a big difference between KK and Kontakt (and Player). This, and audio usage by plugins in various states, have been discussed widely in the Community. Having a search and read is well worth the time and effort IMO. If there is something more specific on the reasons why you have to use KK you could further refine your question. Anyway, below are a couple of links on KKvsK and plugin format behavior that might be interesting/useful. And at the end of the day GP offers so many tools and possibilities to manage resource usage it’s almost certain you can find a solution for any given problem.

2 Likes

I think I have found the instrument causing the high cpu load. It is the Super 8 (Reaktor) Plugin, which uses cpu power if when no MIDI data is received.

Yes, this I a known “feature” of that plugin :wink:

Unfortunately, I have not had a good experience with Komplete Kontrol:

The support from NI is unfortunately not very special either.

To manage my favorite sounds from various different plug-ins and manufacturers, I use “Unify” VST from “PlugInGuru” since then, and so far I’m very satisfied with it. (Even 16 at the same time in a rack space without problems)

I use Super 8 fairly often for several songs and have found it middle of the road WRT CPU usage - not the highest, not the lowest, and the CPU usage definitely changes considerably when I switch rackspaces so it wouldn’t seem to leak cpu cycles in the background. Then again, I use it straight up as a plugin and not in KK or Kontakt. The plugin that puts me into overdrive is Pharlight, or Ashlight, unless I put a limit on the voices that can be used.