Multi-Plug-In Set-Up For GP + Numa Compact 2X

Well, a quick search of Amazon turned up this

Okay, I just took delivery of my Numa Compact 2x today and was really excited to set it up as my new controller for GP at gigs (replacing my Nektar LX88 because that doesn’t have aftertouch), but my experience in the first few minutes and then reading this thread has me extremely disappointed and shocked. Bad enough that I have to go through these extra steps to map the drawbars to my controller aliases, but now I’m finding it that the other buttons and knobs on the instrument DON’T TRANSMIT MIDI??? Dumb me, I guess I just assumed they all did, or some of them anyway. So even to just use buttons for Next/Previous Song/SongPart (or a knob or other button for the various things I use them for in my rackspaces), I have to buy another dedicated device? This is not what I had in mind. I loved that the Numa has a built-in audio interface, which I thought would eliminate my need for a separate audio interface and for a multi-port USB hub at gigs. Now I only have added complexity and hardware requirements if I want to use the Numa as my keyboard. Please tell me I’m misunderstanding and cheer me up!

1 Like

Sending midi from the sliders should be possible.
Did you read the numa manual?

Are you sure they’re not just on a separate MIDI port? Some keyboards provide multiple ports for the keys vs the knobs/sliders?

1 Like

Well, most of the knobs don’t do anything, and the head honcho here at GP told me so, But nothing else is TP9 Fatar and 15 pounds (should be 12 pounds and 73 keys…).

Actually SOME of the knobs are programmable. The little Korg gimzo works, but yeah, it’s an added thing to bring/plug in, etc.

Who is the “head honcho at GP” ?

Yep (I spoke too soon), I realized today when I read the manual that the sliders work, you just have to pick the “Synth” bank to get them all to transmit MIDI (and not just the first two).

But I’m tearing my hair out trying to get the other knobs and buttons working. A few of them do indeed transmit MIDI, enough even to fill my requirements, but I can’t get them working. I’m able to associate them with my control aliases using “Learn midi control,” and then when playing, the MIDI monitor with site does allow data being received, but the widgets don’t respond, or the functionality I’ve attached (most importantly the Next/Previous functions). I nade another post in the forum asking for help from anybody using this hardware with GP.

1 Like

I just unpacked my C2X today again to see what it does, and what not…
The sliders work fine as MIDI controllers, as you already noticed (use a non-organ patch).
The knobs of the three FX-sections also work (means, they are sending proper values on a specified CC#), but some use diffrent MIDI channels than the base channel!
The bottom/right buttons of the FX-sections also send out CC# data, but not in a way you can use as they are, because they only switch/rotate the values 0…3 on a specified CC#, so there is no defined “ON” or “OFF”, they have four diffrent states each. I guess, this could be somehow forced to “ON” and “OFF” with a gig script, but i guess it won’t offer what one would call “useability”.
The “big knob” only sends the same values (all notes OFF on two channels and all controllers 0 on two channels, as well as a standard volume setting), so nothing to use as a program change.
Sorry to say that, but that keyboard isn’t meant to be a real “masterkeyboard”, it’s a stage piano with rudimentary MIDI functions… i had to make the same experience.
It has a nice keybed, it’s lightweight too, but if you want to control a MIDI-environment, you should either get another keyboard, or get an additional controller like the Behringer X-Touch Mini or the Korg Nano.

Guy who designed it, he plays in a Steely Dan tribute band.

That sums it up nicely.

1 Like

I don’t remember saying it wouldn’t work - I don’t have a Numa Compact - don’t really know anything about it.