Moving to a new Mac

I’m looking for some advice here:

I have a MacBook Pro late 2013 I’ve been using to build my new rig, however I was able to pick up a MacBook Pro 2019 yesterday at a killer price. I plan to use the 2019 instead of the 2013 as my go-forward strategy.

Would it be better to backup to time machine on the 2013, and restore to the 2019, or to just do everything clean from scratch on the new MacBook Pro?

thanks,

X

As on Mac Deinstallation of not needed programs or drivers is much easier than with windows, I would go the time machine aproach.

Personally, I prefer to do a clean install – I’ve always run into issues with Migrate and although Time Machine is brilliant for many purposes, doing a restore will still bring in a bunch of stuff that you may no longer need.

That said, if you don’t mind getting a lot of “old” stuff, then Time Machine is a reasonable option and obviously much less work for you.

I’m not a Mac power user, but I prefer clean installations on new computers, because I find lots of unnecesarry stuff in my backups that tend to use up many megabytes of disk space.

You are right with clean installation.
On MAC get rid of old software or drivers is very straight forward.

+1 for clean install

I disagree with that….I can be very hard to find old drivers if you don’t know where to look. And I still haven’t found an easy way to get the list of 32-bit apps that will no longer work so I can easily get rid of them

Ok, here you can get a list of 32 bit programs

Uh yeah — I know about those — but did you actually try to delete them? They’re just informational — you have to select them, then go down the list, find the location and MANUALLY delete each one and still deal with whatever remnants they’ve left around the place.

Thank you all for your feedback. I’m going clean install - no time machine.

X

2 Likes

Today my new MacBookPro M1 has arrived and I want to use the Apple Migration Assistant to move the content from my MacBook Pro (late 2013) to the new MacBook.

I’m no Mac power user, I use my MacBook only for music.

Often applications or VSTs have only 2 or 3 installations, I have one installation on my Winows PC, so it could be, that I have not enough installations free.

Is it better, to migrate the whole content to the new M1 Macbook and deactivate the application on the old Macbook, when there is no more free installation?

Or is it better to first deactivate all applications on the old Macbook and then migrate? This seems to be the save idea, but I planned, to use the old MacBook as my BackupSystem, when the M1 doesn’t work. When I deactivate all application, it could be, that I suddenly have no running system.

Hi @SirTommes ,

I did the “new install migration path” last year. I think this give also a chance to get rid of some old stuff on the old system. my old MBP was an intel, the new is an M1 - don’r know if this causes some side effects.

At least you have to take care to migrate all the various activations (and deactivations) of your plugins and instruments from one machine to the other!

Thank you!

What is with Gigperfomer 4, shall I deactivate it before migration?

AFAIK you have 3 activations - so it depends if you are running out of activations :wink:

usually, you are asked to activate your plugins on a new machine, when you load/use them the first time.
so if you migrate all plugins to a new Mac, not having enough licences free for some, “should” not cause any problems in that sense, i´d figure. But i´m not a computer expert.

one point here:
Your macOS on the new machine. …BigSur, …or much likely Maverick, no ?
If you want to migrate all, would it possibly be a good idea to update your plugins first on your old mac to the latest build, …then migrate.

It is macOS Monterey.

I tried to activate GigPerfomer 4 and I was asked to install “Rosetta”.

Is there a GigPerfomer Version for MacBook Apple M1 Max?

Gig Performer 4 has been Apple Native since its release. Make sure you have downloaded the right version.

That said, beware the caveats

1 Like