Moving Kontakt from Home Computer to Live Laptop -Best Practice?

When moving Gig files between home computer and Live Laptop, I think that GP does a great job of packaging everything up in a gig file… including custom ‘patches’ I make in NI or arturia. Very Nice.

The one issue i run into, is custom sounds(samples) in Kontakt. Now I have to make sure that I transfer those files, and make sure they are in the same folder file path. (and i just spent since last night getting this to work properly on my new laptop, so not time for fun with GP4 sadly, and when Kontakt is not happy with one little file, Kontakt doesn’t work on any rackspaces in GP4)

Is there something I am missing? Is there a smart way of making sure that GP4 can have all these Kontakt samples all packaged up in the gig file? What is best practice?

thanks, Eric

What you are describing is basically a plugin-specific thing. We couldn’t possibly know how is some plugin (in this case Kontakt) dealing with its samples.

I found it easiest to have my samples on an external drive and then I can just plug that into any computer I have. I definitely have copies of said drive on at least 3 drives at any given time and I bring at least two to a show just in case. Obviously - the drives must have the same names and folder structure.

2 Likes

Yes — as @djogon noted, we have no direct control over how a plugin wants to manage its own files.

That said, for Kontakt, if you save your ensemble as a "Monolith, then the instruments will have the samples “embedded” so you only have to move the saved instruments.

screenshot_5494

2 Likes

Thank you.

Excellent, I will pursue this. Thank you!

Hi! I have been using ‘Monolith’ and it does as you said. Thank you.

Only surprise is that my ‘volume’ setting in kontakt, doesn’t load up the same, so when I leave my house and go to rehearsal, the volume settings are whacky, I have to reset them again.

Never had this issue before using monolith… any ideas? Not sure 100% if its the monolith, but its the only thing i have changed … besides going to GP4 from GP3.