Morph between variations?

It’s not really ready for prime time. The major missing piece is the saving/storage of the plugin settings that you morph between. There’s no simple way to do that. Options include storing data to external files, or a workaround like storing data in a hidden widget caption/label.

1 Like

Ok. I undrestand. But it’s better than nothing and also a great started point!

1 Like

I would approach each situation case by case.

I’ve recently been working with Apple Motion for video animation. There’s no simple morph button there. For instance, do I want an object to move across the screen to a new position, or does it fade out at its current position with the new position fading in. Also some parameters need “easing” (s-curves) while others don’t. Yet other parameters might need to switch. For colors, morphing between red and green produces yellow at the mid state. I probably need a middle key frame with a particular gray to get the look I want.

The idea of morphing between variations sounds easy and great, but there’s no single definition of how the transition is done. Like if one has drums only and the second switches to piano only, do they switch, crossfade, or truly morph? If the switch, do they do so at the start, middle, or end of the transition?

Personally, I would look at the specific goal and design the rackspace to accommodate it with whatever combination of mixers and scripts make sense.

Btw, you could load, select, and play various MIDI songs that could automate any widget however you might want. That would allow you to draw any curve on any parameter, including sawtooths, hand drawn curves, switching back and forth for a dubstep effect, etc. If you are already playing MIDI songs in GP, you could host the MIDI files for morphing in a separate instance of GP. With this approach, the methodology is more like animation software, in that the sequencer you use for authoring is a key frame editor.

Best wishes in finding effective solutions!

Thanks for the MIDI file tip! Good idea
What I would like but at least for now does not exist is the following:
Under Probabilistic Sound Designer windows and somewhere in Captured Parameters it would also be nice to have the option to have these parameters included or not in the morph option.
Of course a morph fader must be somehere in the same window
Imagine that you have to pads and you want to morph between them but only for some parameters (for example filter or ADSR envelope)
In any way thanks for your tip and suggestions!

But you still need to know the range of each selected parameter for both presets of a plugin so that all parameters move with scaled rates as you morph.

For example, suppose you have

Preset 1

• Filter cutoff = 0.2
  • Volume = 0.3

Preset 2

• Filter cutoff = 0.5
  • Volume = 0.9

The volume range is wider than the filter cutoff range so as you morph, the volume will change faster than the filter.

Is that what you want?

With a MIDI file, you can automate parameter changes however you like.

Here is an idea: Gig Performer | How to automate switching rackspace variations and song parts using the MIDI File Player

Exactly that!

I will experiment with this. Thanks!