More videos on gp setups and rigs

Hi people,
I just been looking at keys rigs on youtube etc and have found there is is a real lack of good gp rig vids. I do realise that it is still relatively new compared with the likes of mainstage and ableton etc but we need more people showing their stuff. The ones out there dont sell it enough i think. @dhj why dont you do one on your setup using gp or maybe you have and i cant find it. I just think that to get this platform to be more mainstream this area needs work. I talk to heaps of keys players and they have never heard of gp and if only the knew what its capable of it would takeover.

Hi @onkeyz, so where is yours? :wink:

I already did the write up with larry the o, where is yours

I am a man of the shadow. But I would be glad to have the link to your video. :wink:

2 Likes

You want your product out there im just saying we need more of these, genuine people that are not paid to review that are just using it. Maybe i will do one in the future covid depending of course. It is just surprising that there arent as many out there. @dhj needs to do this as his rig is quite interesting and i dont fully understand why he needs so many controllers to do the the job when he is using such powerful software. :wink:

1 Like

This is almost a philosophical debate :grin:
GP can indeed make it possible to do without a lot of controllers (even nor at all), if that is your aim.

Personally as a guitarist, using GP only for live, I canā€™t do anything without controllers or else itā€™s a live simulation using automations without any real time control, which is of no interest to me.

My approach is not to invariably reproduce the same set of sounds, effects, etc., but to use them in real time by varying the parameters according to the context in the present moment, by deciding to use such or such instrument, to apply my sensitivity according to my playing partners or in interactivity with the public.

My pedalboard composed only of controllers allows me to concretize this approach by giving me a total control on my game.

No handy, no candy. No feet, no sweets :wink:

pedalboard-GP-4

8 Likes

Iā€™ll turn that around and point out that it is precisely because I am using such powerful software (thanks, by the way), that I can use many controllers to make it easier for me to perform the way I want.

When Iā€™m performing, while I certainly want real-time control over my sounds, I like to have all the sounds I need just be there so I donā€™t have to think about program changes or switching etc.

Recognize first that many (including me) need a different ā€œfeelā€ for different kinds of sounds (e.g, for acoustic piano I generally want to use a weighted 88 key controller) and for synths I want to use a lightweight controller with decent aftertouch.

Then, for example, sometimes I need strings by themselves, other times I need strings and choir. Regardless, I also need a hammond organ.

Rather than using an expression pedal (or even a button), I might have one keyboard split where the left is just strings and the right is strings and choir, each section appropriately transposed. But then, depending on whether Iā€™m playing strings (with my left hand) or strings+choir with my right hand, I need to play organ (in the same octave ranges) with my other hand so on another keyboard, I might have a split where I can use either hand to play the organ part, depending on when Iā€™m playing strings or strings+choir. Add in the need for yet another controller for some synth parts needed during the song and Iā€™m already up to four controllers.

@pianopaul and I both play in Pink Floyd tribute bands. I donā€™t know how he has his stuff configured though I suspect he depends more on automation than I do but if you play a song like Sheep or Dogs and you want to faithfully include all the parts (including the sound effects), then trust me, you canā€™t have too many controllers!

2 Likes

YesI do a lot o automation, trigger samples when for example the Key G2 is pressed the 3rd time or fade in and fade out of sounds depending on the bar coming from on beatchanged.
I also do automatic switching of variations and moving of widgets to control cutoff etc.

And I am using just 1 Midi Controller S88 MKII
For Rehearsals I am using an LMK4+

I like to play om just 1 large keyboard and use necessary splits.

For the presence on stage (normally no one sees me on the stageā€¦)
I am playing a keytar for some Solo Parts.
The Keytar is connected to Gig Performer via MIDI.

3 Likes

This is great this is what i wanted to spark and to my point on why there needs to be stuff out there with real musicians using gp not someone at home in a studio talking about it. People need to see how it goes in the real world. @dhj thank you for sharing that, makes total sense and i already knew the answer, i just think that your rig is prob the most complex of anybody using gp so why not use it to promote it.

1 Like

Well. There are pictures of my rig on our Facebook page. Figuring out more and better ways to promote is a high priority for us. We had expected some promotion to have occurred through our partner last year but we need to do way more.

1 Like

I also just prefer 1 88 controller these days, in and out as quick as possible.

Well back in November 2019 I posted this threadā€¦

and thanks to the community here jumped on the Gig Perfomer band wagonā€¦absolutely loving itā€¦it has turned my aging Roland Xp80 and old Sager laptop into a modern power houseā€¦

One of my favourite setups is for the INXS cover of ā€˜Never Tear us apartā€™ā€¦

Managed to get hold of an incredibly close Synth soundā€¦and then also found a Saxā€¦which I placed up in the upper right octave thanks to GPā€¦with a bunch of reverbā€¦works brilliantly in the solo breakā€¦

then have a backing track via the Audio playerā€¦is amazing how full the sound is just coming from one computer and one synthā€¦

I just love the whole soundā€¦and the versatilityā€¦

have thought about doing a video on a topic like ā€˜Turn your old 90ā€™s synth into a modern powerhouseā€™ or something like that.

Anyway thanks Gig Performer team and the community!

7 Likes

Go for it ā€“ it is great when users create their own videos highlighting their own particular approaches.

Considering how advanced most peopleā€™s setups are, Iā€™d feel inferior to show the simplicity of mine. :slight_smile: I use a Mac, an Arturia KeyLab 61MKII, and GP. I do also use an expression pedal and an AirStep for controlling GP, and Iā€™ve actually been able to do some pretty complex things (to me) with this setup. For example, when we play Baba Oā€™Riley, I use the AirStep and GP to turn arpeggiators on and off and switch between arpeggio patterns for different parts of the song. Without GP, Iā€™d have to go back to my old setup which involved multiple keyboards and more complexity. I donā€™t think I could go back there now that I only have to carry one keyboard to gigs.

3 Likes

ā€¦and if you look at how ā€œbasicā€ some questions are, you will notice that there might be quite a lot of people just waiting to watch how those things can be done!
So, donā€™t worry about a possible lack of complexity! :slight_smile: :beers: :+1:

2 Likes

Meh - for my Steely Dan tribute band, I carry one keyboard, one computer and a pedal board.

The ā€œadvancedā€ stuff is inside Gig Performer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone. Gig Performer was a huge liberator for me. I hated hauling that big Motif around, and since we donā€™t play too many songs that require a weighted keyboard for piano, itā€™s perfect for me.

4 Likes

@keys ,

The NI Komplete Kontrol S88 fits in a slim gig bag and only weighs 29 lbs for 88 weighted keysā€¦

x

1 Like

I always try to use a controller like a workstation that doubles as a backup if and unlikely that a computer dies on stage.