Midi Set-up Studiologic SL88 / Mixface

Then it is not working.
There is an older post about this issue with studiologic.

OK, not good…

Any recommended Controller which „easily“ communicates in both directions with GP?

Perfect would be motor-faders.

The plan is just to work with an SL88 as Keyboard, one good Controller and the Notebook/ Computer.
Thanks
Flodder

S88 mkII

That’s the Keyboard, I am missing the perfect Midi Controller. Your recommendation as well as the Arturia Keylab is fully useful if handling just Kontakt or Arturia VST‘s.
I would like to have a midi controller which is communicating in both directions with GP.
As midi keyboard I chose the SL88.

Hey guys, sorry to jump on this four year old thread but it is discussing something I am interested in today! Mainly I want to confirm from those using it, that the SL Mixface device works really nice and easil1y with GP. Namely, that the “Learn Midi” function works every time for all of the sliders, buttons and knobs (like most of you, I don’t worry at all about MIDI channels in my GP work; I just take everything and let the midi input blocks do the rest; and use RigManager aliases for the controllers), and then they work as expected with your widgets without any muss and fuss (no extra programming or configuration on the device)? So far, (on my existing setup using a Nektar LX88 keyboard, but I want to replace it with a Numa Compact 2x because it has aftertouch and the built in audio interface; but that necessitates my adding something like the Mixface for my controls; the Numa’s don’t really fit the bill). I currently use (like everybody) sliders for either mixer volumes or drawbars; and also use knobs for Master Trim and some vst and effects parameters; a button to switch Leslie speeds; one as a Panic button (controlling the System Actions plug-in); and four more for Next/Previous Song/Song Part functionality.

Will all that be quick and easy to set up on the Mixface (like it was with my Nektar keyboard)? Alternatively I am considering Nektar’s MIDI Controller device, Panorama or something I think it’s called; I’m guessing that will work great for this because their keyboard did, but the SL is $100 less so if it works as well, I’m considering that too!

Thanks!!!

Mixface should work without any problems (i use it with a Studiologic SL88)
— BUT —
the Mixface Midi is not Bi-Directional !
If you assign a button to a widget any change to the button changes also the widget but when you change the widget (eg via variation change or rackspace change) the new widget status will not be feed back to the button!

…and this is a mixface killer for me…
I was exided to get this to work together with the SL keys, but as it is not bi- directional / no motor faders it is not usefull for live. My new on is on sale…

Is there a reasonably cheap device like mixface which is birectional with LEDs and motor faders?

Smallest equivalents I’m aware of is the Icon Platform M+ and it’s newer version, the Icon Platform P1-M.

I have a Platform M+ that I like, but I do find it difficult to mount in a place that I can use it for real time control. If I really needed convenient access to motorized faders I’d find a way to mount it, but in practice it usually sits just out of convenient reach and I end up using knobs or non-motorized faders.

I believe @David-san uses a Platform M+ for live performance. I’m not sure I’ve seen his rig and how he mounts it.

I just realized that I don’t have much pictures of my rig and it is not in live config for the moment. I just found this bad quality picture where you can see the Platform M+ on le left of my stage rig:

As I am keyboardist and singer, my rig is based on a K&M Omega-E motorized stand. So I can sit when necessary and stand up when singing some other songs. In my rig, keyboard controllers, iPad, touchscreen, microphones and control surfaces are all attached to the motorized stand, so that everything moves up and down with the stand. The Platform M+ could just be placed on my lower keyboard controller, but in this configuration the display and channels are not visually aligned. That’s why I prefer to have the control surface on my left at a 45° angle. So, I installed it on a laptop stand attached to my stand. There I find it perfect for live use.

2 Likes