Midi Set-up Studiologic SL88 / Mixface

Sorry…just saw this! I just had to setup the PC change from mixface as my controller I normally use wasn’t working. I just mapped the transport buttons (<< & >>) to the next and previous rack space under global MIDI settings. But looks like you are also asking about sending PC from GP to the controllers? I have not tried that.

MattA,
thanks for the feedback and hint with the transport buttons.

The question related to the sending a PC to SL / Mixface is not longer relevant as i have adapted my set-up to the available features:

I use the SL88 as a keyboard with 4 layers (Ch 11-12-13-14) and use GP to assign the different layers to the VSTs. So no need to send a PC to the SL. The 4 layers are always on and GP has the full control how to use them.

Within the Mixface i use the 4 color buttons to select the 4 layers and the related assignment to the widgets. Eg the first button / layer covers the basic items like master volume / EQ / balance between different instruments… . The other 3 layers are specific for ePiano - Synth - Organ. With a touch of the related button the specific controls are available / assigned to the Mixface. Eg the the drawbars for the organ. Even the drawbars for the upper / lower manual are selectable with switching between 1-9 and 10-18 fader set within a layer. Very easy and useful.

Overall it took a bit of work, testing and trial and error, but in the end it is a very useful and comfortable setup.

1 Like

I have also thought like you and run the same variant and it works well.

Hi,

I would like to bring this thread up again as I will get a SL88 and the Mixface the coming days to replace my RD2000 master keyboard.

Currently I use often 4 MIDI channels from the keyboard to play 4 different VST’s in GP.
To do the same with the SL I have to activate in each program the 4 Zones an set them to the individual MIDI channels, correct?

By choosing another “song” or program in the RD2000 I send as well a PC change to GP, to switch to the selected song in GP.
That means that I have to do the same in the SL, correct? - I have to set up different programs (and give them the song names) to send the related PC change signal, right?
If it is like that it will mean if I want to switch from program 1 to program 45 I have to turn the knob of the SL until it comes to the program 45, I can not jump to this program instantly?

That would mean GP is getting all the signals, from 1-45 and is running through the setlist.

To avoid that I would have to change my workflow
and better choose the song directly in the setlist of GP and send from GP the PC signal to the SL.

Is this correct, or any “easier” way to keep my current workflow?

Thanks
Flodder

I think your current workflow deeply depends on the possibilities of your controller. I would change this to be independent of any controller. I try to use only very basic functions of my controller to be free of any hardware change. So, for me, a controller is supposed to produce note messages on the same MIDI channel, that’s it, everything else is done within GP.

That’s 100% right David,

but I have a GP set up with 50 songs of our band,
to start from “0” is almost impossible.

I guess I saw a video of you in YT at which you send the PC change message from an IPad to GP.
That would be the ideal case for me, as I have the IPad in front of me to choose the song. But I use GuitarTapp pro, I guess this is not supporting sending any messages to GP…

Perhaps look at MobileSheets instead – it’s only $15

I switched to it some time ago and have never looked back

1 Like

My question is, “how would you like to control your song changes?”

Personally, I try to minimize situations where the “master” functionality is divided up among different devices. In your RD2000 case, it sounds like you had half of the “master” functionality inside the RD2000 (your song select control and the splits/layers of each song) and half inside GP (what to play on those splits and layers).

If you want to replicate that on a new controller combination it can be done, but I’m not sure it’s going to be as simple or reliable as you’d like.

If I understand you correctly, you have 45 or so “programs” in your RD2000 that control the splits and layers. If you want to keep doing it that way, you’ll have to re-create all of those on the SL88.

Alternately, since you have to re-create it all anyway, you can move all of that logic into GP and let the SL88 just send everything on MIDI channel 1 all the time.

If you have all of that logic in GP then choosing songs becomes easier. All you have to do is send GP a program change message, whether it be from your SL88, your MixFace, or your iPad.

No, the splits and layers I do already in GP.
How can I play 4 different VST’s in GP
with just midi channel 1?

Somehow I need to send PC change to GP, I not just change my key sound, I run the whole band through GP, mic’s as well as drum settings and effects will be changed per song. (I run three instances).

At the same time? Or at different times? Layered (i.e, all played together)? Some transposed? Split?

Need more detail

Why exactly do you need more than 1 channel? In GP you don’t need to use MIDI channels to route MIDI wires. A MIDI in block with specific options (split, layer, an so on…) connected to a plugin instrument and the job is done. I only use MIDI channels if I need to split MIDI messages out of a Scriptlet, but just after I convert this to channel 1 again.

Hm,

I did it because me RD2000 was set to four midi channels 1-4…
But it’s true, I can use just on and set the rest in the midi block settings…
I will play around with it.

I just try to set up my best work flow with the SL88 and the Mixface, to control the Plugins in GP.

To follow the recommendations to work with just one program of the midi controller (SL88) I am wondering if it makes sense to connect the SL88 to the Mixface ore use/ connect them independent to GP.?
Would I have any advantage plugging the SL88 to the „host“ of the MixFace?

The question may seems to be stupid (and may it is…) but I want to avoid to make any mistakes when I start setting up the new devices in my rehearsal room (and gig) system, I am currently testing at home…

Thanks
Flodder

I think it depends on your rig and how you want to control things.

Personally, I do everything in GigPerformer. I don’t use external sound modules, and I don’t send MIDI to outside devices. All my MIDI comes into GigPerformer, and all my sounds come out of GigPerformer. So for me I don’t try to do anything fancy in any external controller. I just want my external controllers to tell GigPerformer what button/knob/key/etc I touched and have GigPerformer control what that does.

I prefer that approach because I never have to worry about keeping different devices “in sync” from a programming standpoint. If I set up a new song, rack, or variation in GigPerformer then everything is done. I don’t have to let any other device know about it.

I would recommend that approach unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise.

If you don’t have a good reason for wanting to plug the SL88 into the host port on the Mixface, I would not.

2 Likes

@Vindes
Thanks for your comment; I will do it the same! :+1:

Hello,

did someone, whom is using the SL Mixface, managed to sync the status lamp of the button with the status in GP?
Thanks
Flodder

Which button?

The buttons below the sliders 1-8

Yes,

you have to change the buttons in the Mixface to CC and hold.

Following my setting, that’s as you recommended but it is not working.