MIDI Player Setup

Does anyone know how to get the MIDI file player to work? My rig has always been purely live, but looking at click tracks and MIDI files now for sequenced parts. I can’t really find any information on how the routing for it works, so any guidance would be welcome.

I’m trying to get a sequence and click for Duran Duran’s Hungry Like The Wolf - so there’s the Jupiter 4 sound for the sequence and a click track for the drums I need to route to separate outs (the latter going to our drummer’s monitor aux).

Load the MIDI File Player, Load your MIDI File and Connect the MIDI Out of the MIDI File Player to the MIDI In of your Synth Plugin.
Now press play in the MIDI File Player and you should get results,

The Play in MIDI File Player can be started by for example assigninging a Widget to it.
Or Scripting, different possibilities.

1 Like

Probably a suggested improvement, but the play button in the top right hand corner was what I was missing! Probably on a dark stage, I may see it, but not in normal working light conditions - it could do with a frame/border around it.

I’ve been converting midifiles to audio by playing them in my Roland BK9 keyboard and recording the output into my Focusrite Clarett and then saving as a .wav file. However, when I play them back using the audio player in GP, the sound is only ok. I guess that the Roland doesn’t have the quality of the plugins I have on my PC?? Then I read the post below:

I followed the instructions sending the midi data into a UVI Workstation plugin assuming that it is a GM type sound module. I couldn’t get any sound happening.

So my questions are:
1 Is the quoted info complete? (No allocating of sounds was mentioned)
2. Is the UVI plugin suitable as a sound module or should I be looking for
something else?

Do you happen to have the “Sync” option of the Midi-Player activated?
If so, it won’t play until you start the global playhead of GP, because they are “synch’ed” then.
If you untick that option, the MIDI-Player is on its own and should start when you press its “Play” button.
You should see the position display progressing by beats and bars…
You can also place a MIDI-monitor block after the player to check if data is going out (and what it is).
Maybe you’d also have to do a channel re-mapp in the player or filter out unwanted midi data (i.e. prg changes)…
Maybe this helps you to better get started.

UVI is a Sample Playing Workstation, similar to Kontakt.
You have to load samples into UVI workstation.

There is very little info in the manual on how to use the midi player. Are you saying that if I used the UVI Plugsound Pro as the sound source, then I would need to load as many instances of UVI as I have tracks in the midi file? So one for drums, one for bass, one for guitar etc?

I do not know in Detail UVI Plugsound Pro, but I think UVI workstation can work as a multitimbral Player.
So each loaded sound should react on a different incoming MIDI Channel

Here A1 means Channel 1 and A2 means Channel 2

So you should be able to load different instruments from your library into separate parts of the Multi in UVI workstation.

What else should be documented? There is a pretty detailed page on it in the manual.

I was thinking of a mixer page showing faders, volume and pan. But I guess that is all to be done in the sound module itself?