MIDI PC from iPad (BandHelper)

I’m trying to set up Bandhelper on my iPad to send program changes to GP to queue up the right song. In turn I would also like to be able to send a program change from GP (or Bandhelper) to my Roland VR-09. As a newbie my head is swimming in all of this. I need help badly. Below is a list of the gear, I’m working with and the things I’ve tried so far. I would greatly appreciate some guidance and any help. If anyone is interested in helping me directly via Zoom or Go To Meeting. I’m willing to pay. Running out of time to get this set-up for upcoming gigs.

MacBook Air OSX 10.15.7

iPad Air (3rd gen) MUUJ2LLA

PreSonus Studio 24 C

GP 4

Komplete Kontrol S61

Roland VR-09

Aukey Link PD Pro USB-C Hub

Audio MIDI setup App

I did this:

iPad icon is dimmed.

I have a Bluetooth connection to my MacBook Air from the iPad Air. I also connected a lightening to USB 3 camera adapter to the iPad Air since I do not have a Lightning USB adapter.

SENDING MIDI FROM BANDHELPER

I registered my MacBook as a MIDI device per the instructions on that page. All ports channel 1

Navigate to MIDI Presets in the main menu and tap the + button at the top of the list to add a new MIDI preset. I added program change, turned on active.

The first field is the bank change (MSB), the second field is the bank change (LSB) and the third field is the program change. I left MSB and LSB blank and set the PC field to 16. Not sure about how to set these.

GP 4

Under Global MIDI I did not see the iPad in the section “Accept Program Change Message from any device”

I I have turned on “ MIDI Song select to PC and Use MIDI channel 1”

ROLAND VR-09

MIDI MODE 2 Channels 5 through 10 and channels 12, 14, and 15 will be sent to the SMF playback sound generator

(GM2 sound generator); the other channels will be sent to the keyboard sound generator. (So 1-4 and 11 )

Did you enable the iPad midi port?

Yes, I have everything checked on that screen.

can you see this?

I can see it but it’s dimmed out and cannot be selected

I sent you a private message

I have a Macbook Pro and two iPad M1s. I’ve never used my iPads with the MBP as I mostly use my Windows machines and iPads. Is the iPad supposed to be recognized as a midi device by your Mackbook Air in GP4?

At any rate, in regards to sending a program change from GP (or Bandhelper) to your Roland VR-09, you can use a small Bluetooth midi device by Cme-Pro for wireless midi transmission. All the Bluetooth midi devices by Cme-Pro are super handy. In my home studio, I use Bome Network Pro software that will send and receive MIDI among all my laptops, Pcs, and IOS devices. It helps replace 1,400 messy midi cables and USB midi devices. You have to ask for the IOS version as it is still in beta.

Thanks to pianopaul my MacBook Air now recognizes my iPad. The main issue was the GP4 setting under Options> Global MIDI. When I changed Program Change Control to “Accept Program Change Messages from Selected Devices only” all the other settings in GP4 and Audio MIDI setup app worked. I still need to review the BandHelper settings as I’m not receiving MIDI from it yet. Thanks for the heads up on the other apps, I will check them out.

1 Like

For BandHelper, go back into the repertoire settings and ensure you’ve set up your Mac/GP as a “MIDI DEVICE” and that it has been selected in the MIDI preset.

I use BH in exactly the same way, so I can certainly help you get things working.

1 Like

Thanks! Good to know. I will let you know how it goes.

OK, I checked repertoire settings to verify MIDI Device and MIDI Preset
I also added MIDI song number (see screen shots) and reviewed this page again. BandHelper: Sending MIDI
But when I change to the song in my Bandhelper set list nothing happens in GP.

How looks your Global Midi Monitor Window in GP?

1 Like

And the network session you’re connected to… can you show the network midi page on your Mac?

Blank "Waiting for MIDI message

So no Midi Message is coming in
How looks you Midi Ports Options Window in Gig Performer?

Is this what you’re referring to?

Ok, seems that the iPad does not send messages.

Can you check your audio-midi-Setup?

From Audio MIDI Studio