MIDI Patch Persist fails with example

Hi Guys,
Following the last GP Backstage (How to Resample in Gig Performer) and the tip from David, I decided to push for the line and finally get off MS and onto GP. I had a whole bunch of sounds using MS proprietary plugins. These have now all been sampled and with just one exception all sound great. The entire setlist has now been moved over and practice was going well. I then realised we had a couple of medleys to put together and this is where it came unstuck.

The medleys use variations from a number of rack spaces and patch persist was not working. As this is prog you can imagine the keyboard set up is quite complex, but I have a way of now simplifying things such that one rackspace is one song and within that there are a number of variations for changes during the song, so I create the the keyboard rig i need for the song with multiple VST’s and then work out how to map and switch the virtual rig onto two MIDI controllers. I start each rackspace with the Input organisation outlined in MIDI Input Organisation. Everything works fine. The Medleys are the first time I have tried to use different rackspaces in the same song. I have now checked and the Patch Persist does not work manually switching between rackspaces in the panel view and switching between song parts (using different racksapce variations) in setlist view. I have managed to create a small gig file to demonstrate the problem.
Persist.gig (81.9 KB)

When on Part1 and manually holding a chord and switching between Part1 and Part2 Patch Persist works. When on Part2 and manually holding a chord and switching to Part1, Patch Persist fails. The second scenario is when the sustain pedal is being supplied from a different MIDI source (Lower 88 Perf Controls) so now when on Part1 and a sustained chord is held using just the pedal (hands off) patch persist fails when switching from Part1 to Part2.

I have a workaround, but in very complex setups it gets messy very quickly as it involves getting all the MIDI settings right in just one block instead of the cascaded approach that so far has served very well. I have just applied the workaround to just the songs that need it as I can hold the chord manually but must remember not to use the pedal during the medley transitions.

Thanks in advance for looking at this …

Sorry but this is not a bug, the Patch Persist is behaving exactly as it should. It’s recognizing Note On events coming in on a specific device and it’s waiting for Note Off events to come in on that same device when you switch to another rackspace. The Sustain Pedal event is associated with the same physical device as well. It won’t work with arbitrary Sustain Pedal events coming from other devices - in fact you might want to be doing separate Patch Persist on another keyboard with a sustain pedal attached to that other keyboard.

Thanks for the information, forgive the further comment as I am never sure that I have explained the issue well enough or misunderstood something in the response. I think I understand the sustain pedal, but I am unclear about “it’s waiting for Note Off events to come in on that same device”, as when I started playing with this, part1 and part2 were using note on and note off from the same device as they were both driven using the same MIDI input stack ie. keys being send via a zones block as in the part2. In this case both parts should be the same device (Local GP Port) as they have the same MIDI in stack? In this configuration it fails when switching from part1 and part2, I have included a modified test gig
Persist2.gig (90.4 KB)

Thanks again.