MIDI Learn when merging

I think I may have found an issue with MIDI learn function when merging MIDI. In the image below, the MIDI inputs shown as Zone cannot learn the MIDI key inputs when setting the range.

It may be the way I do things and not an issue, but everything other than learn does what I expected in this setup. This is a starting point for all my rackspaces. The setup is two keyboards a lower 88 note and an upper 49 note. The upper 49 is a CME VX controller and supplies it’s control surface as a separate MIDI input. The MIDI inputs are aliased as Lower 88, Upper 49 and Upper 49 Control, for me it makes the MIDI message flow very clear rather than assigning each zone block separately to a MIDI input stream.

There area number of reasons for the MIDI setup shown:

1. In order to avoid accidental CC messages making their way into the plugins I only use widgets to map to the plugin controls when actually required. So, the “Lower 88 Performance” and “Upper 49 Performance” blocks filter all SysEx and CC messages, except sustain aftertouch, expression pitch bend and modulation. Each zone has the expression and sustain message filtered, so it is only turned on when needed.

2. I do not like to use multiple pedals so the “Lower 88 Perf Controls” block takes in the “Lower 88” MIDI stream and filers out Note ON, Note OFF, and aftertouch messages, leaving just the controls being merged into the “Upper 49 Performance” block.

3. The Zone blocks all have their MIDI input set to Local GP Port and MIDI merge enabled, so these blocks are now used to set the zones and the stream is limited to just performance data. The source of the stream is also very clear. So when adding a new zone there is no issue of getting unwanted CC messages flowing into the plugins or getting the single sustain or expression pedal correctly routed.

It is the third point that shows the issue, you cannot use the learn function when setting zones. The note and velocity arrive at these blocks as expected and setting the zones manually works as expected. I have included a test rackspace that demonstrates this.

I was going to add this template to tips and tricks but when I came across this issue I though it should be looked at, as this may not be a good tip or trick!!!

Midi Learn.rackspace.zip (12.6 KB)
Mac OS X 10.11.6
GP4 4.1.5

For context this is what one of my more complex rack spaces looks like, the zone switching and bypassing is managed with 4 variations.

I can confirm, MIDI Learn from merged Input has no effect.

Thanks for confirming, at least it’s not me missing something! Can this be added as a feature request? It is low priority, as it is a workflow issue not a performance issue.

You have to ask the developers, I am a. normal user :wink:

Serves me right for adding midi merge – this was only done for convenience so you could leverage scripting from other MIDI generators.