Midi Drop outs when merging Sustain pedal

Hi everyone.

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong here as I’m fairly new to GigPerformer, but I’ve discovered a strange behavior in one of my rackspaces I just created while moving from MainStage to GigPerformer.

When mapping my Sustain pedal to a Midi input on CC64 and play more than aprox. 3 Notes while using the pedal at the same time, I’m getting random Note drop outs.
More precisely the NoteOn Message is missing for some notes. I was able to capture the situation in a screen shot while trying to replicate it:

In my rig, I’m using two controllers, an SL88 Studio as well as an Keylab 61MK2. Thereby the sustain pedal is hooked up to the Keylab and that’s why I’m mapping it to via the rig manager to the SL88 Midi Input block on CC64 when needed.
First I thought it was due to complexity issues in the rackspace created, but I’m able to recreate the behavior with a new Gig File and a very simple setup (Midi Input of SL88 → Instrument → Audio Output ) and just the pedal mapped.

As a workaround, I removed the mapping and added the Keylab61 Midi Input to the rackspace, as well as a filter on Sustain only, merging both midi signals at the input of the VST. That works just fine.
I can also exclude the VSTs/AUs as the issue also comes up with different ones and CPU as well as RAM are not an issue as well.

I’m currently unsure if I’m doing something which I’m not supposed to or if that’s kind of a “glitch”.

GigPerformer Version is 4.8.2 on a 2023 Mac M2 running Sonoma 14.4.1

Regards,

Thomas

Why are you explicitly mapping your pedal to 64? Is it not already sending CC64 messages?

It is, but it is hooked up to my second controller ( The Keylab61) and I need it on the VST attached to my primary one (SL88) as well to have only one sustain pedal.

I thought it was “the better way“ to use the mapping from widgets in combination with the rig manager, especially as I sometimes have to switch to other alternativ keyboards. Maybe I‘m o the wrong path there…

Please check out this blog article for the recommended best practice for this specific need

Will do it this way… Thx!

Was just curious that the other way is in general working as well, but with issues. Hopefully that mistake will save somebody’s time troubleshooting…

Well, just looking at the MIDI monitoring, you’re not producing values of 0 or 127 (off or on) from that CC 64— there are all sorts of intermediate values there so I’m not quite sure what’s going on there.

CC64 is special (because of its use for patch persist) and so it is the exception to the rule that all MIDI messages should be mapped via widgets.

Note that once you have created a MIDI In block and configured it to just allow sustain messages to pass through (see image below), you can save that block as a preset (I call mine SustainPedal) and it will then show up in the popup menu and in the quick plugin finder so that you can easily reuse it as needed.

screenshot_8425

I”m using a continuous pedal as I”m also playing a lot of piano stuff and need that half damper for some pieces we play. That’s where those intermediate alles come from and maybe it’s connected…

Anyhow… I’m using a slightly changed version of your approach, as I also need the soft pedal and sostenuto pedal which are also attached to the keylab. This is working fine …

Thanks for the help and background on this…