Matrix divisi

I would like to start off by saying “It’s about time I gave something back to the GP Community” who so graciously helped me overcome a bunch of hurdles. Secondly, you are going to like what I am about to share with you and I hope you will find it novel and a game-changer to some extent.

Before I get started, I want to thank and give credit to: @schamass for discovering the original GP DIVISI technique, @pianoPaul, @David-san, and @dhj for putting up with me and opening my eyes to the power of GP Scripting, and @rank13 for encouraging me to be creative and unique.

OK, here goes: I have developed a new type of “DIVISI Rackspace”. I call it “MATRIX DIVISI” because, on each of the 5 channels, you can assign more than one instrument to play on any given note. You can also assign each instrument to a note range or you can leave out an instrument from the mix and the Scriplet will fill in the gaps.

… and of course, you have the ever-present mixer to control volume and panning for each instrument. Having all these controls at your fingertips is inherent to GP and it gives you the power to change all the parameters for each variation and thusly the ability to change the DIVISI distribution on demand. The technique works with both monophonic and polyphonic plugins … and alternating them makes for some very interesting effects.

Here is a look at my Version 1 panel:

You have 5 channels (one instrument per channel), each with a different color. You can mix the volume and pan of each instrument. You can specify a note range for each instrument by clicking a NoteName and then pressing a key on your keyboard (thanks to David-san for this idea).

On the far right is where all the magic happens. I am not going to tell you how it works because that would spoil your fun. You need to push the buttons yourself to create your own DIVISI MATRIX. I guarantee that after the first 60 seconds of playing with it you will discover a new musical world and it will put a smile on your face. :slight_smile:

Here is the wiring diagram for the MATRIX DIVISI Rackspace:

All you have to do to be creative is to replace my plugins with your own choice of plugins (they can be polyphonic or monophonic). EG: I have a Rackspace using Spitfire’s BBC Orchestra plugins employing a violin1, violin2, viola, cello, and contra-bass. It sounds amazing, especially when I overlay the regions and pan the instruments appropriately.

Each plugin must be on its own channel. In this case, I am using channels 1,2,3,4, and 5. You should replace each plugin with the plugin or hardware device of your choice. I am some cases, I have tried placing two plugins on a channel for a diverse effect. For this demo, I am using Omnisphere and Zerbra2 because I think everyone has these plugins by now.

You could try each variation by selecting it and playing a few notes and chords … or - for a better playing experience, assign faders and knobs to your MIDI controller and start switching things on the fly. You will notice that my technique does not bypass plugins or filter midi notes at the MIDI IN Block Level. Try playing legato on the right hand and chords on the left and listen to what happens. My technique will accept a chord that has up to 16 notes (I really hope your hand isn’t that big) and still handles the DIVISI distribution gracefully.
I am currently working on Version 2. Here is a look at the new panel:

Version 2 will let you specify an octave range for each instrument for each variation. I plan on including a button for each channel so you can include an octave lower note in addition to the octave selected. This way you get two notes for the price of one.

I almost have V2 working, but I am having trouble with my NoteOffEvent as it is not turning off notes as expected. I will be asking for some scripting help on this one. LOL! … but first: enjoy the MATRIX DIVISI Version One.

Again, thanks for all the help. :slight_smile:

!DIVISI MATRIX V1.2 Demo.rackspace (1.2 MB)

8 Likes

@Phil this concept is SO COOL and I am totally playing with it. Thanks for sharing.

I am glad you like it :slight_smile: If you think this is cool, wait until Version Two, l guarantee that it will blow your mind! I would have completed it last week, but like you, I spent most of my time having fun with it. So, I am testing it now and I hope to have it pushed to this Topic by this weekend. Gig Performer and GP Script are over the top!

Here is a sneak preview of the MATRIX DIVISI V2 panel:

4 Likes

As Rachel Ray used to say when she did a cooking show, “yumm-o”