Matching Levels Between Kontakt PreBass and Live Precision Bass

Hi Everyone,

I"m a relatively new user to Gig Performer. I am a bassist/keyboard player in a band and have recently started using my laptop with Komplete 6 Audio Interface and Gig Performer to manage my sounds.

I’ve split my keyboard so half is working as a Paino/Hammond Organ and the other half is using the Kontakt Pre-Bass sample set. Hammond/Piano goes out to the PA through Ch 1 and 2. For songs that don’t have a piano/organ component, I play my precision bass.

Kontakt Pre-Bass as well as my real life precision bass bass are both routed out through Channel 3 which goes plugs into my Aguilar DB750 amplifier into bass speaker cabinets and out to the PA through its DI out. Both the Kontakt Bass and my Precision Bass hit the Tube Compressor in Guitar Rig Pro before they leave Gig Performer.

I am finding it difficult to equalize the volume levels between the Kontakt Pre-Bass and my real bass by ear. It sounds like I have it balanced at home but once I meet with the band the levels are not equal. Perhaps a different in volume or EQ that I am not realizing. I was wondering if any of you would have a suggestion on how I can achieve this more effectively? I am thinking if I visualized the difference in frequency being produced perhaps I can then tweak EQ and Gain to try to get them to the same point.
Thanks!

What Loudspeakers are you using at home and what in the rehearsal or on stage?

Hey, thanks for responding.

The Bass signals is going out to an actual bass amplifier and is only going through the PA primarily for monitoring. The bass amp set up is an Aguilar D750 which is going into two Aguilar 1x12" Bass Cabinets at home and sometimes a Traynor 8x10" at our rehearsal location.

In terms of monitoring/comparing the 2 levels within GP, a loudness meter plugin like this might help (free).
https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/dpmeter4.html

In my experience you can only trust levels when you build your sound on the same system you are playing later.
That is not always possible.
Therefore I am using the software sonarworks with calibrated headphones or speakers.
This software tries to make the frequency response as linear as possible.
For example when you use Canton HiFi Speakers at home, your sound at a rehearsal where you use normal PA speakers will sound all but not amazing.

And only levels are not a real indicator: Sometimes the level is high but you cannot hear your sound -
then maybe to much low bass is in.
Or the level is not that high, but your sound is much to lound - then maybe your high mids are too strong.
In short words: Try to make your sounds and level with loudspeakers which sound similar to what you use later in rehearsals and live.

The tip of @rank13 can help in terms of loudness, but that is not all.

Most important of all: trust your ears and not your eyes :wink:

Thanks for the advice, I’ll give it a try!